Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland - New Lanark - and 'Maid of the Forth' worth seeing?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 02:26 AM
Mark

Hi,

I am busy planning a trip to Scotland. Has anybody been to New Lanark (the conservation village and World Heritage site) and is it worth visiting?

Also, has anybody been on the 'Maid of the Forth' boat trip to Incholm island, and would you recommend this?

As we will only have a few days and each of these places would take up 1 day, I want to make sure that they are really worth seeing before deciding on an itinerary.

Any other good places in Southern/Central Scotland. We will be based in Edinburgh, for a total of 5 days and will spend 3 days in Edinburgh. So we have 2 days to spare and I am looking for some good ideas!

Finally, any restaurant recommendations for Edinburgh would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.

Mark.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 03:42 AM
Dave

I took the Maid of the Forth a few weeks ago. It was one of the highlights of my trip. I had a sunny day, though - don't know that I'd recommend it if it were wet, windy and gray (not that there are many days like that in Scotland!)

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 04:26 AM
Mark

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I agree, definately a trip for a sunny, warm day (if we are lucky enough to get one!!)

What wildlife did you see? Seals? Puffins?

Mark.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 07:50 AM
Dave

Mark,

I was probably the only person who noticed a seal sunning itself on the rocks just before we boarded the boat, just close enough for a photo. By the time I turned around to proudly point it out, it had slipped back into the water. But there were several others who popped up to watch as the boat left Inchcolm.

Yes, there were puffins. Also lots of gulls of some sort (I'm not very good at identification). I was there during nesting season, so there were literally hundreds swooping about over parts of the island.

The boat leaves from right under the south end of the Forth Rail Bridge, so if you're at all interested in Marvels of the Industrial Age, that's definitely a plus. I've taken the train over it several times, so was glad to finally get a chance for a good look.

The island and Abbey itself exceded my expectations. Good views of Lothian, Fife and the Forth itself (islands, lighthouse, shipping). The remains of the Abbey are quite substantial, with the core ecclesiastical chambers fairly intact (chapel, dormitory, chapter house, warming room, etc). Although it's quite a climb, the view from the tower is worth the effort.

Dave

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Cathy

Mark,
I visited New Lanark several years ago and though it a great place to see, Can not temember much else !

Cathy

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Mark

Thanks Dave -very helpful. If the weather is good, I will certainly go on the trip.

Best wishes,

Mark.