Scotland Motorhome trip in August

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Scotland Motorhome trip in August

Hello dear Fodorites,
My husband and I are taking 3 months Long-Service Leave in July 2009. We will be celebrating DH's 50th birthday.We are travelling to England, Ireland, Scotland and France.
We are slow travellers, so after mostly staying in B&B's in Ireland, we have booked a Motorhome for 2 weeks in Scotland. The reason for this is that we really wanted to be free to be a little spontaneous (we have already pre-booked all our accomodation in Ireland). We have previously travelled by motorhome in New Zealand, and found it to be a wonderful way to travel. The problem is that we are in Scotland from August 12th for 17 days. I have recently read that we will need to pre-book all of our campsites. Is this accurate, or can we wing it?
Another question is that after returning our motorhome to Glasgow on August 29th, we need to get to Askrigg, in the Dales to meet some friends and stay for a week in a cottage there. Would it be advisable to rent a car in Glasgow and drive, or better to catch a train or bus, then hire a car in Yorkshire?
I apologise for the long-winded post.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 04:00 PM

There are several caravan clubs in Scotland/UK. One is the Caravan Club, see: http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/General...arks/Scotland/

You might want to join one of them. It gives you priority when booking their sites. It gives you a list of sites. This is just one club. There are others.

This site might interest you also: http://www.find-a-campsite.co.uk/highlands.html

I think it would be easier to rent a car in Glasgow before you turn in your caravan. That way, you can transfer you "stuff" to the boot without having to carry it on the train.

Old Dec 9th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you jkbritt,
That is fabulous advice, and probably what I really wanted to hear. So if we join, we wouldn't have to pre-book the sites? Also, could you tell me the dates of the Summer holidays in Scotland. I realise August is a busy time, but am wondering if we are safe in the latter fortnight of August.
Regards,
teych09
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 04:42 AM

You're coming at the end of the Scottish school holidays, but the English schools will still be off.

It will be busy but not mobbed (Actually, it's never "mobbed", really).

There are a lot of places in the remoter parts of Scotland where you can just park the van- no site required. OTOH, no showers, loos or running water, other than the burns.

North of the Highgland line, I'd just wing it. Bring midge repellant.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sheila,
I think we might book the first couple of nights near Crieff for the Highland Games, then head north. I do like the sound of "never mobbed"!

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 02:35 AM
tod

Hi teych09 - We did our first motorhome trip to Scotland this year and if you have a moment can read my trip report by clicking on my name and finding "Beautiful Britain - Our spring fling through England, Scotland and Wales", with photos of the camp sites.

We were given free membership of the Caravan Club by Motorholmes UK who we hired the vehicle from. A really worthwhile membership to have ( and have just renewed it ourselves for 2009).
As it was early May we did not pre-book anything and simply phoned ahead during the afternoon to find out about a caravan site for the night. Ran out of luck once but always found an excellent place.
There are dozens of private camp sites as well and we used a few of these from time to time.

I would be happy to answer any queries you have. Best of luck!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Tod,
Actually I just read your excellent trip report a few days ago. I felt really inspired and more confident about the whole Motorhome decision. In fact, it is the only trip report that I could find on Motorhoming in Scotland. I was concerned about taking the ferry to the islands, but now feel fine about it.
I will definitely look into the Caravan Club membership. Thank you for the sage advice.
I know that you didn't have to worry about midges in May, but perhaps Sheila could answer a question about them. I was just wondering if they hang around after sunset, and if they are still present in the early hours of the morning. I apologise if that is a silly question.
Regards,
teych09