Scotland Journey Intinerary Comments

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are scheduled for a March journey to Scotland for six days. I wanted to solicit comments responses on the potential journey. I have a bit of experience in driving in the UK, so road travel does not bother me. My preliminary itinerary is:

Day 1: Edinburgh
Day 2: Pick up rental car and drive thru Stirling, Callander to Glen Coe
Day 3: Fort William, Road to the Isles, Isle of Skye
Day 4: Finish up the Isle of Skye, Eilean Donan, Plockton up to Inverness
Day 5: Loch Ness, Fort William down to Oban
Day 6: Loch Lomond and Edinburgh

My journey kind of gets a bit jumbled towards the end, as I don't have a real concept for how long to spend in these locations. I wanted to spend a bit more time away from Edinburgh, despite all the positive things I have heard. Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Too much, too quickly. With 6 days, I'd pick 2 locations and do daytrips.

Just my 2 cents...
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Can you tell us what you like and why you're going tothe places you've picked?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:17 PM

One thing's for certain - you'll have a lot more experience in driving in the UK by the time you are finished - Skye to Inverness could be over 4 hours
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

What my wife and I hope to take away from our journey, is quiet personal time between the two of us experiencing the landscape of Scotland (on a recent trips to Ireland we most loved the drives around Kerry, Dingle and the Connamera). Therefore, as long as there is something to experience and witness along the way, a four hour trip to Inverness won't be too difficult for us. From prior trips to the UK we enjoyed our time in the car and the evenings in quaint restaurants/pubs. Therefore, it is not necessary to hit too many tourist traps.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:29 PM

With reference to your travel objective, I'd head west to Glasgow and up to Loch Lomond after Edinburgh or up to Stirling and Callender. I'd spend all my time in western Scotland by-passing Loch Ness and Inverness. Give Fort William a miss too unless you're just driving through.

The best places on your proposed itinerary and for experiencing the landscape of Scotland would be Skye, Callander, Loch Lomond and the Road to the Isles.

Skye deserves more time than you're allowing to really "experience" it. So do some of your other places you've mentioned.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
trust us - really. Too much in too little time.

&quot;<i>I hope to take away from our journey, is quiet personal time between the two of us experiencing the landscape of Scotland</i>&quot; I am afraid w/ your plan, you will mostly just experience the inside of your car

Your 6 days - starting and ending in Edinburgh just doesn't give you ANY down/quiet/peaceful time - at all. Especially when you add in the likelihood of less than ideal weather in March.

W/ 6 days you could do Edinburgh, a bit of the Trossachs, Glencoe, and Skye - but even that would be quite rushed and you would spend a lot of time packing, checking out, moving on, checking in, and unpacking - only to start it all over the next day.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM

Oh - I meant to add - don't know what &quot;tourist traps&quot; you envision. Not a lot of them anywhere in Scotland. Except for maybe the Nessie exhibition.

But we are mostly advising you to skip Inverness/Loch Ness anywhay so you wouldn't see it.

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

All-I realize that route planners seriously under-estimate the time spent driving from one direction to the next, but would I be rushing this journey if I canned Inverness/Loch Ness and maybe only spent one day in Edinburgh? I guess I don't have a good feel if I am capable of accomplishing my DAY 2&amp;5 destinations. Because of the time of year we are going (March),I realize I won't be able to do a lot of hiking, so the expectation was we would be spending time in the auto anyhow. Regards.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:15 PM

In March you should get several days that are good enough for walking / hiking. If that's your preferred activity, cut down on the road miles and leave time to take advantage when the weather improves. Most of the areas you'll be visiting have very good low level walks, and even some of the higher parts will be clear as we've had very little snoe this winter.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:31 PM

That's &quot;snoe&quot; as in the cold white stuff that falls from the sky.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Smudger,
My wife and I are planning about the same type of trip in May/07 but are planning on staying 10 days.
Were you planning on staying in B&amp;B's?
Have you set up your reservation for a car? Would you be willing to tell me who you are going with for the car?
We are planning on flying into Glasgow driving to Stirling for the first night, possiblity of jet lag. Driving to Fort Williams spending the 2nd night on our way to Mallaig. Next day to Mallaig taking the ferry to Skye back down the land bridge to Loch Ness, Inverness then back down to Glasgow.
We, as you , do not have a clue on what amount of time to set asdie for travel. We plan on stoping at any sights along the way. We may not make half the trip depending the amount of time we use up.
Thanks for any input.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM

We did similar trip (minus Inverness, Loch Ness) in 8 days. We spent
2 nights in Edinburgh,
2 nights in the Trossachs,
2 nights on Isle of Skye,
1 night in Stirling.

We are &quot;do-ers&quot; we like to keep moving, see a lot, do a lot. And for us, this schedule was very full. We did over 800miles of driving, and spent a lot of time in the car. We had a wonderful time, but I really cant imagine doing the same trip minus 2 days. There would be no time to see anything.

I would either try to extend the vacation, or do less.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Forceten-We haven't booked anything yet, still trying to &quot;iron&quot; this thing out. For car rental, I have burned in the past on rental cars in the UK, so I will most likely go with a LARGE outfit and look for the best rate. Petrol will bankrupt you...it will! Anyhow, we have had excellent success in the past on just driving from town to town and finding B&amp;B's through the tourist offices in the towns we stopped; I would assume it would be similar on this journey.

Steviegene-What made your time in the car so prolonged? Was it the journey from one locale to the next, or was it you were trying to hit too many locations? We are only planning on spending one evening in Edinburgh and maybe a part of a day, that is it. We aren't into visiting too many castles and going to museums, I feel you get more out of trip and learning about the landscape and culture by getting out and experiencing. We visited Ireland a few years back and unfortunately (or forutunately) couldn't go into one castle because of the Foot &amp; Mouth scare. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves nontheless.

Regards.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:43 AM

Its just a lot of driving.
The distances are vast, and the driving is somewhat difficult. Many of the roads are small, twisty and you cannot travel very fast on them. Especially if you get bad weather (which happens ALOT). Due to this and with adding in stops to grab food, take photos, do a little sightseeing, it just takes a long time to get from point A to point B.

We actually covered less destinations in 8 days than you are trying to do in 6.
We decided to skip Loch Ness, and instead spent
2 nights in Edinburgh, 2 nights in the Trossachs,
2 nights on Isle of Skye, 1 night in Stirling.

In my opinion, the trip you have mapped out will have you in the car for 90% of the trip. With the amount of places you intend to visit, you will not have time to stop and really enjoy much.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:56 AM

&quot;<i>I feel you get more out of trip and learning about the landscape and culture by getting out and experiencing</i>&quot;

This itinerary doesn't give you any time to do that. You do seem to be happy w/ your plan so nothing we say may change your opinion - but steviegene explained it really well. They went to fewer places in 2 more days and still spent an awful lot of time in the car.

Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM

might I also say...
While I am happy to share my observations and experience, I am not exactly an expert (having only been to Scotland once.) There are however MANY experts, who have travelled through Scotland many times on this board. These people gave me invaluable advice that helped me plan my trip/itinerary and contributed to making it a wonderful holiday.

They also helped us to discover special places that we might not have found or &quot;bothered&quot; to see without their suggestions.

So if there is any advice I can give, its to listen to the advice given.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Steviegene &amp; janisj - Thanks so much for the invaluable advace! The &quot;90%&quot; in the car is what I was looking for...that is a TON in an auto. I don't mind traveling, but we want to enjoy our journey as well. I really have no basis for how the roads are or how the weather will impact my journey...I guess that is the fun of travel. Perhaps eliminating my journey up to Loch Ness/Inverness area and with having only one day in Edinburgh, I think my journey more or less is similar to Steviegene's. Steviegene, I would be curious to hear your &quot;must sees&quot; and what you could have done with out. Regards.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM

I think skipping Loch Ness is necessary.
Keep in mind that if you want to go all the way up to Skye in 6 days - it will still be a very busy trip, and you will still have a lot of time spent in the car.

Anyway, as for our hilites:

- Edinburgh was lovely. We especially enjoyed the castle, the pubs and the hike up to Arthurs Seat was absoluetly magical!! But the best part was definetly spending the time to walk all through the city.

- Stirling was a nice town for exploring, and the castle was a nice visit - the free tour was very, very good.
- The Trossachs - the scenery is hilly and beautiful. The best part for us was probably Ichamome Priory which you get to by boat (a place we went to on JanisJ's suggestion).. A secluded and beautiful ride to an island priory. Walking around the island was particularly memorable - as there were some of the biggest most magical gnarled sweet chesnut trees Ive ever seen. The towns of Aberfoyle and Callander were quite nice, (but very be prepared as they are very small!!)
- Glen Coe was fantastic. We only drove through - but it was unforgettable.
- Isle of Skye - driving around the island. The scenery is spectacular. We liked staying in Portree, and that the town was quite charming. I have heard the boat ride is a highlight for most - but we missed out on it due to bad weather.

Things we were dissapointed by:
1. We had a few days of bad weather - which was very frustrating and got in the way of our sightseeing.
2. Accomadations. I realized on this trip that I am more of a snob about accomadations than I realized. We were not overly impressed with almost anywhere we stayed (except the B&amp;B we stayed at in Edinburgh)
3. Our main day on Skye being Sunday - as all attractions were closed.

Anyway, if you have more specific questions I would be delighted to answer. I remember planning our trip was very difficult - and I appreciated all the help we got on this board!