Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   scotland itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-itinerary-1479384/)

kurlanddrake Oct 5th, 2017 10:31 AM

scotland itinerary

Hi all - we will be hiking for 9 days on the Rob Roy Way. The we have 6 days before we come home. What should we do? We are flying in and out of Glasgow and I know we want to spend some time in each of those places.

unclegus Oct 5th, 2017 11:48 AM

what time of year?

BigRuss Oct 5th, 2017 12:01 PM

What else do you like?

historytraveler Oct 5th, 2017 12:13 PM

Are you asking about places to stop along the Rob Roy Way or where to go for the 6 days after you finish the walk? Will you have a car? Don't know if you are walking with a group or not, but everal of the places along the Way would make for excellent stopovers.

janisj Oct 5th, 2017 12:18 PM

You need to tell us a lot more -- When? Driving or not? >>Places to stop along the Rob Roy Way or where to go for the 6 days after you finish the walk?<<

>>I know we want to spend some time in each of those places.<<

<i>Which</i> places are those?

janisj Oct 5th, 2017 12:19 PM

Oops - meant to start w/ "ditto to all the above" and just reemphasize what the others posted.

janisj Oct 5th, 2017 12:21 PM

Oh -- and are you walking with an organized tour group -- if so where are they dropping you off after the walk?.

PalenQ Oct 5th, 2017 01:14 PM

Edinburgh of course for 3 days or so if never been there. One of the prettiest cities in Europe. And a great base too -easy day trips by train to Stirling and its famous castle and Wallace Monument nearby - think Braveheart! And easy day trip to St Andrews by train or bus - nice old seaside university town and of course home of golf with the Old Course area to visit.
Anyway your have 4 of the most versed and knowledgeable folks about everything in Scotland IMO and IME to tap in those who ask clarifying questions above -just my limited knowledge says that Edinburgh and some easy neat day trips from it along with a day or so in Glasgow to fill the gap would be great if you're ready for city life after trekking thru remote areas.

kurlanddrake Oct 16th, 2017 10:57 AM

Wow - thank you all. We will be going in May. We are going to travel after our hike, and will be dropped off in Glasgow. So, we would like something that doesn't involve hiking. We'd like some time in Edinburgh and Glasgow and would also like someplace relaxing with beautiful scenery. We can have a car, or not. What about the Isle of Skye?

PalenQ Oct 16th, 2017 11:25 AM

If you'd like some time in Glasgow and Edinburgh and you have but six days you have little time for Skye - especially if doing those cities which are a day away or so by ferry/car or train.

I'd stay more time in Edinburgh than Glasgow and perhaps do day trips as mentioned.

the Borders Abbeys district is another easy day trip from Edinburgh or Glasgow and could be a nice few-day stay- seeing the famous Melrose, Jedburgh and Dryburgh abbeys and such. No need for car.

If staying in Glasgow and Edinburgh you have little time with just six days total to appreciate a car rental.

janisj Oct 16th, 2017 11:59 AM

With 6 days you have a lot of options.

If the guides are dropping you off in Glasgow - can we assume you will have started your trip there as well?

Something like flying in to GLA and them picking you up the next day to start the hiking tour?? Are your flights already booked? In to where and home from where? That will make a difference re where you need to be at the end of the trip.

You will be walking through the Trossachs -- which would have otherwise been the most logical place to spend a few days before heading on to Edinburgh.

Give us your actual schedule . . .

kurlanddrake Oct 25th, 2017 10:53 AM

We fly into Glasgow, arriving on a Saturday morning in May, start the hike on Sunday. Then they drop us off back in Glasgow the following Monday. We are not leaving from Glasgow until 5 days later on Saturday. We definitely want to see Edinburgh, but are completely open aside from that. Thank you again for your help!

janisj Oct 25th, 2017 04:00 PM

So you actually have 4.5 days free. That is not much. And you need to be back in or very near GLA by Friday evening. So Edinburgh and an area near/convenient to Edinburgh/GLA would be about it. No time to drive to Skye if you also wand to see Edinburgh.

I'd suggest something like: Pick up a car on the Sunday (at GLA is easiest because you wouldn't need to drive in the city and the rental agencies at the airport are open over the weekend). Drive to Fife -- Stay Sunday and monday nights in St Andrews or Crail or Anstruther. It is about a 2.5 hour drive from GLA to St Andrews. Use Sunday/Monday/part of Tues to explore St Andrews, the fishing villages, Falkland Palace, maybe the Isle of May (Puffins ! :) - and lots of other birds plus light houses). Then Tuesday evening (it will be light very late so you won't be driving in the dark) drive to Edinburgh and stay Tues/Wed/Thurs night in Edinburgh. That will give you 2 full days in Edinburgh.

You don't need a car IN Edinburgh so you can turn the car in when you arrive in the city (out at EDI is easiest). Then friday afternoon or evening take the train to Glasgow and stay the last night there - in town if you want to see more of the city, or at the airport if your flight is early Saturday.

janisj Oct 25th, 2017 04:08 PM

Oh -- to explain a bit why I suggested that: You will have seen a LOT of gorgeous/inland/Trossachs scenery on the hiking tour. You won't have seen any seaside/island areas. I would have suggested Mull & Iona plus a bit of Argyll -- but that is on the wrong side of the country to be convenient to Edinburgh. You still could go that direction -- Driving from GLA to Oban and taking the ferry over to Mull for Sunday and Monday nights, then drive across to Edinburgh on Tuesday afternoon. But say Fionnphort to Edinburgh is a 6+ hour drive including the ferry.

kurlanddrake Oct 26th, 2017 11:05 AM

Thank you all for your help. These are great suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes. For anyone who's interested - our hiking trip is arranged by RyderWalker and we've done hikes all over through them. They are wonderful! The trips are self-guided, they provide maps and arrange for luggage transport from town to town. We hike with a daypack from town to town and stay in Inns, B&Bs or small hotels. A long hard day of hiking and then you meet your luggage at a nice place.