Scotland -- Isle of Arran

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2003, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a wedding to go to in Edinburgh April 2004 (we've rented an apartment near high street). I would like to spend 4 days exploring Scotland with my family (2 small children) and my in-laws. We have been told to consider the Isle of Arran. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 06:23 AM

Depends what you like.

It doesn't attract me a bit, But I know people who just love it.

Near Aviemore might be better for the kids.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

What's around Aveimore for the kids? I've been told that there isn't much for kids in Scotland. Are there any islands you'd recommend for a visit? My in-laws want an island experience.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 08:56 AM

I did a kids' tour document a couple of years ago. If you email me I'll send it to you.

The Cuylumbridge Hotel (which is a Hilton, I think) is set up for kids' entertainment. On top if which you have Landmark, and the Highland Wildlife Park, specifically for young people. The steam railway at Boat of Garten is pretty good, and you're close to the coast and some spectacular castles (and distilleries) and mountains- iwth funicular for those who don't want to/can't make the effort.

For an island, the big issue is travel time. Me, I'd opt for Islay, which is two hours off teh coast of Kintyre. Skye is the only island readily accessible by car without a ferry crossing.
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 08:58 AM

Oops! Or Mull. 20 minutes from Oban on a boat, tho' it's big enough that you'd want to take your car over to get the best of it when you got there.

There are regular short flights to most of the larger islands from Glasgow (and some from Inverness)
Old Dec 21st, 2003, 09:47 AM

Arran is very nice but probably not someplace I would go with such a short time. I probably also wouldn't stay in Aviemore - good scenery and on the way north to some great areas. But there are a ton of better places.

Who on earth told you "there isn't much for kids in Scotland"? Scotland is one of the most kid friendly places I've ever been - with all the great castles they can clamber about, scenic train rides, wonderful museums with hands-n exhibits, Falconry centers, highland cattle, wildlife, etc.

If you want an island experience I'd suggest either Skye or Mull. Mull is terrific and has the added bonus of being the jumping off point for iona.

But with just 4 days I'd probably stick to the mainland. Since you will be in Edinburgh you can see lots there of course (if the wedding schedule allows you much free time).

One loop would include going north into Fife (St Andrews, wonderful fishing villages, Falkland Palace, a boat trip to the Isle of May - the kids would LOVE that) and then up to Stonehaven (Dunnottar Castle) and the along the Dee and back south over the Spittal of Glenshee to end up back in Edinburgh (or Glasgow if that is where you are flying out of)

If you folks are really set on staying on an Island - pick either Skye or Mull - you would enjoy either one.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I'll probably be in Scotland for less than two weeks. We'll spend 5 days in Ediburgh for the wedding and I was thinking 4 days on an island. My in-laws wanted to go to Skye, but isn't that (or Mull) a long trip from Edinburgh? Would it be better to fly into Glasgow if I want to have an island experience before the wedding?
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 08:12 AM
ron

I don't think the airport choice is terribly relevant; it is only about an hour from EDI to Glasgow central.

I have spent a week on the Isle of Arran, and enjoyed it very much. I can't compare it to the other islands recommended, since I have not been to them. And I cannot really guess whether your group might like four days on Arran, since I do not know what you mean by <island experience>. Arran has mountain and lowland scenery, rugged coast line, standing stones, a castle, a Holy Island, a brewery, a distillery and great walking.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 08:33 AM

No, The trip out to Mull is not much longer than to Arran. Skye is a little farther but certainly driveable in a few hours.

You could do 4 days on either island - OR easily do 2 days on Skye and two on Mull. CalMac has a rover ticket that covers ferries from Oban to Mull, Mull to the penninsula, and Mallaig to Skye for the car and all passengers on the same ticket (or you can do it in reverse).

If you decide to stay 4 days on one Island - I'd probably choose Skye IF you are into hiking and outdoor pursuits. The scenery is wonderful plus Dunvegan Castle, Talisker distillery, Portree, etc.

Mull could also fill 4 days with Iona, Staffa/Fingal's cave, the Treshnish islands, Tobermory, and Duart and Torosay castles.

As I mentioned - Arran is a nice place to visit - but Mull and (especially) Skye have much more spectacular scenery and both offer more things to see and do.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 12:15 PM

I think you need to decide what it is you want in an island.

If the 4 days you're talking about is for that bit of your trip alone, go for it.

Arran is easily the most accesible from Edinburgh. Train to Edinburgh, train to Largs. Boat. Bob's your uncle.

Excuse me those who know it better but I see it as a pastoral island witha big hill in the middle. I suspect that, other than being less densely populated, it's not unlike the mainland (which is pretty much my gripe with Mull too).

Mull is accessible too. Train to Oban. Boat. Bob's....

But if you want Hebrides- long swathes of beaches topped by machair, and the culture of the Gaeltachd, you need to be slightly more challenged. You can do that in the Inner Hebrides on Islay, Tiree or Coll; in the Outer Isles on the Uists or Lewis and Harris. Skye has the most spectacular scenery, but suffers from few beaches and, like Mull, too many incomers to reflect the social history of Gaelic speaking Scotland.

We haven't discussed teh Northern isles; but for something TOTALLY different to the above, you could fly to Kirkwall, and learn more about our Scandinavian past.

Ach, the world's your oyster; you choose.

If you can identify what it is you want to see/experience, write it down and we'll narrow down the options.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 02:34 PM
ron

mraparis, I am guessing that, from this lack of support for Arran (including from the usually reliable Sheila, who has apparently never been there, if she believes that you get there via Largs and that it is pastoral and has but one big hill), you will choose not to go there. But just in case you decide to be contrary, you get there by train or car to Ardrossan, and ferry from there to Brodick.
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 10:58 PM

See, there's this big hunk of Scotland immediately south of Glasgow down to somewhere around Stranraer, that is a closed book to me. As far as I'm concerned there could be a big fencec round it with "Here be dragons" posted at regular intervals on the wire. The English can have it back if they want.

That's the second time in a week, I've said "Largs" and been wrong.

And Ron is making me feel very guilty. It's a lowland place. I like the Highlands. I know people who love and swear by Arran. It's just I'm not on e of them.

And for the record, if you get a ferry from Largs, you will end up in Millport or Great Cumbrae (not Northern Ireland or Brodick)
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Just got back from a trip to Morrocco and am trying to catch up. Thank you Sheila for sending your info. I'm looking forward to reading it. Regarding my "island experience" comment.... I'm not sure what I meant. The islands, when doing research, always sound very interesting. My in-laws are in their 70's, my kids are 3/6 and we are in our 30's... so it will be difficult to find a place that interests all of us. My kids travel a lot, but don't like long car rides (who does?). I thought the islands might be a good place for my outdoor kids (they live in an apartment in Paris and love to run and make noise outside). I don't think that answers any questions, but it gives some background on our interests. One thing is for sure... I'd rather not spend my time in cities while I'm on vacation.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 12:56 AM

Aran is a mountainous, sparsely-populated island. Although it is very close to the heavily populated lowlands, it is totally different in character. The journey from Glasgow, by train to Ardrossan then ferry (www.calmac.co.uk), takes about two hours so it can easily be done as a day trip. If you want an island near Edinburgh, try Inchcolm (www.maidofthe forth.co.uk).
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 06:08 AM

OTOH, staying overnight on inchcolm could be challenging

Mraparis, the islands off teh west and north coasts of Scotland have very different characters. The Western Isles (or Outer Hebrides) are where you will see most of what's left of scotland's celtic culture. The northern isles are where you see our Viking past. The topography of both is very different.

The Inner Hebrides (except Skye and Mull) are watered down versions of the outer Isles and, I think, are very beautiful. Skye and Mull have their own beauty (especially Skye which probably has Scotland's most stunning mountains) but are very mainlandised.

Arran, Bute and the Cumbraes have a lowland culture associated with their island natures. I'd caharacterise Arran as hilly, rather than moutainous.

Given what you say, I think Arran will suit you fine.

If I can help with anything else, please don't hesitate to get in touch