Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland/Ireland/Wales Tour Guides (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-ireland-wales-tour-guides-412269/)

marilynfaye Mar 17th, 2004 02:12 PM

Scotland/Ireland/Wales Tour Guides

We are taking a cruise in June that circumnavigates the British Isles. And, as with most cruises, we only get a day in each port.

I am looking for suggestions of private tour guides in any of the following locales:

Edinburgh
Peterhead (Scotland)
Invergordon (Scotland)
Lerwick (Shetland)
Kirkwall (Orkney)
Dublin
Waterford
Holyhead (Wales)
Falmouth

Thanks for your help.

Victress Mar 25th, 2004 04:27 AM

We're just starting to plan a trip to Ireland next spring and would be very interested in hearing about your cruise experience. It satisfies my need for moving and my husbands preference for staying in one room.

Enjoy!

marilynfaye Mar 26th, 2004 02:50 PM

Dear Victress:

Even before taking the trip I can make some general cruise comments. Cruises are a good news-bad news kind of thing.

The good news:

You can see many, many places without having to pack and unpack and waste a lot of time at airports and train stations. The ship sails at night and you generally arrive at your destination in the morning ready to go. If you choose, you can usually find a congenial bunch of people with whom to sightsee and have dinner. (This trip is on Oceania and we have cruised with them before and the food is amazing . . I don't mean midnight buffets; I mean beautifully prepared and delicious food.)You will also have occasional "sea days" to just kick back and relax. This is a vacation, after all.

Now, the bad news:

You are usually in a port for only one day and that can be limiting. You just won't have enough time to see the city and check out the countryside. You mention wanting to go to Ireland. We will be in Dublin and Waterford for a day each. Also, unless you are overnighting in a port, you can't take in on-shore evening activities. (On this trip, the Scottish Symphony is performing in one of the ports at 8:00. We sail at 8:00.)

So bottom line: It's a question of choices.

Hope this has helped.
Marilyn

phyllismb May 20th, 2004 09:53 AM

We have used Derek Myles of Claymore Travel several times in Scotland. His website is www.claymore.btinternet.co.uk. He will meet you and can take up to 10 passengers.

In the Orkney's we used Michael Hartley of Wildabout Tours: e-mail [email protected] He is very knowledgeable of the history and mythology of the island.
Phyllis

Andrew_John Jun 10th, 2004 02:36 AM

I can only answer for Holyhead - not a great place to spend a day, mainly a ferry port for trips to Ireland. Depending on how much time you do have, try to get to Beaumaris on the south side of Anglesey, very small but quaint town with castle and gaol.

Good restaurant in town is the Bulls Head Inn - must be one of the finest eateries in North Wales!

SiobhanP Jun 10th, 2004 02:50 AM

Do you have any idea of what you want to do in each area that would help. I will check out some info for Dublin and get back to you.

janis Jun 10th, 2004 07:55 AM

marilynfaye asked this back in March and hasn't been back on the Europe board since. I doubt she is still looking for help . . . . .