Scotland/Ireland w/o a car?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:21 AM
ek
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland/Ireland w/o a car?

Hi,
2 friends and myself are thinking of taking a trip to Scotland and Ireland this spring. (8-9 days)

We are not planning on renting a car. How easy or difficult is it to get around without a car in Edinburgh and Southwest Ireland (Cork & Killarney)?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 10:34 AM

In Edinburgh it is absolutely no problem
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 11:12 AM

As sheila says, you don't need (nor want) a car in Edinburgh. But elsewhere you really will need a car. Especially in rural Ireland, traveling around by bus is really time consuming.

But you only have a little over one week and you want to see two countries? You should consider EITHER Scotland OR Ireland. You will only barely scratch the surface of either one in 8 days.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:59 PM
jay

in any big city it is not necessary to have a car. but you will need one everywhere else. spend the money and get a car it is the best way to see the countryside.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 05:36 PM

I disagree that outside of the cities you need a car. We had a lovely 3 week trip taking the coach. When we wanted to visit a site that wasn't on the line we would get a cab. It was way easier and more (scenorgraphic?)... much more fun to see outside the windows. Whle a car may be the best way to see the country side, the coach is the best way to meet folks.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 06:03 AM

Unless your group just has to see both countries, I agree that you should choose one... I think your trip will be more relaxing and enjoyable. If you like cities, Edinburgh is wonderful. It's not so large that you feel lost, but there is lots to see and do within walking distances. You can take bus trips to the outlying areas like Stirling if you don't want to rent a car. Ireland is absolutely gorgeous and you could base yourself in Killarney which is a big larger and then take your side bus trips from there. Either country will not be done justice in 3 days (assuming one day travel in between them.)
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:35 AM

In Ireland, just get hold of a bus/train timetable and go along with it. It's by far the best way to learn more about the country. Between Cork and Killarney, you have a choice of trains or buses. For other journeys, buses are generally reliable but infrequent, often two or three times a day; that doesn't matter as you go with the pace of Irish life - if you have to wait for a connection, there'll be a bar serving Guinness.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:05 AM
jor

Believe me, you wouldn't want to drive anyway unless you have nerves of steel. There are small bus tours tailored for a younger crowd which are fantastic. 3, 4, or 5 days. Do a keyword search or look for Tir Na Nog in Irleand, and MacBackpackers in Scotland.
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 08:08 AM

As someone else said, the bus timetables are pretty reliable.

Trains, however, are another story. Train timetables seem to be more of a suggestion than actual fact.

The suggestion of basing yourself in a town/city (in Ireland) and taking day trips is a good one.