Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland/Ireland golf trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-ireland-golf-trip-250591/)

BillyB Aug 17th, 2002 07:23 PM

Scotland/Ireland golf trip

We will be playing golf in Scotland and Ireland September 14-25 and am looking for ideas on lodging and travel advice in these places: Turnberry, Troon, St Andrews, Muirfield, Ballybunion, Tralee and Lahinch. Should we just wing it this time of year as B & B's are plentiful or do we need reservations in some of these towns as space is tight? Anything we shouldn't miss? Thank you...bb

JoeBlarney Aug 17th, 2002 08:16 PM

Don't know about Scotland, but you should have no trouble winging it in Ireland, especially in the west. It's like a B & B theme park.

Andy Aug 17th, 2002 10:11 PM

St.Andrews Golf Club has their own Inn- you can contact them direct to reserve a room and a tee time...

steve Aug 18th, 2002 08:08 AM

A few years ago, my brother-in-law and 3 golfing buddies went to Scotland/Ireland for 3 weeks of golfing. I think they got in 30 rounds of golf. They usually stayed in pubs that also had a few rooms.<BR><BR>One trick that they used was to secure several 'Letters of Introduction' from their club. It said something to the effect 'Please extend all courtesy to our esteeemed members ,etc, etc' The letters resulted in them getting to play on some private clubs and in a couple of cases, they were able to play 2 rounds (on the same day) for the price of one.

topping Aug 18th, 2002 09:02 AM

ttt

Jinx Hoover Aug 18th, 2002 10:21 AM

I assume that you have tee times reserved at the courses mentioned. I have played all these and more in both Scotland and Ireland. How many will be traveling? How long will you be in each area? Do you like to play two rounds in a day? Get back to me via my e-mail--I think I can give you some helpful advice. Jinx

Billyb Aug 18th, 2002 01:24 PM

Here are some details. 2 good male players, 10 days of golf with 36 an attractive option, we will have tee times already set up. The overnights would be - Turnberry/Troon-1. Carnoustie-1. St Andrews-2or3. Muirfield/Gullane-1or2. Lahinch-1. Tralee/Dingle-1or2. Ballybunion-1or2. Thanx for any advice....bb

Tom Aug 18th, 2002 04:35 PM

BillyB, Stayed at St. Annes B&B in Tralee in 1995. Noreen O'Callaghan and her husband (his name escapes me) who was the head groundskeeper of Tralee ran the B&B. He took good care of us with tee times at Tralee as well as Ballybunion. Phone number is (066)22029. Regards - Tom<BR><BR>

topping Aug 19th, 2002 03:23 PM

ttt

Tiger Aug 20th, 2002 08:02 AM

I don't think you should miss the fairway :-)

Billyb Aug 22nd, 2002 05:54 AM

Thank you to Jinx for all of your help -what a golf nut! I can only hope to play as many great courses as you have...bb

Richard K Aug 22nd, 2002 07:42 AM

I've been fortunate to have golfed in both Scotland and Ireland on a number of trips - I much prefer Ireland. I agree that B&B's are plentiful in Western Ireland and normally I am a big advocate for "winging it" as far as accomodations. But if the sole focus is golf, bear in mind that you will be walking all these courses and esp. in Ireland though the distances between courses are short the drive time depending on weather and who is in front of you may and will take considerable time, so the last thing you may want to be doing is searching for a place to stay when all you want is a warm shower and a few Guinness! My suggestion is to contact the golf courses directly and ask for their recommendations as far as accomodations - be as specific as possible i.e. B&B ensuite vs. hotel. Re the courses, Ballybunion is special(both courses), Dingle links doesn't get the publicity but is a gem, and if you can get there - Waterville is also a must-play. Also, best investment for both Scotland and Ireland is to always hire a caddie - both for the local knowledge and usually for the entertainment as well. Keep the shots low and hit em straight.

Zeba Aug 22nd, 2002 07:03 PM

I can't speak to anywhere aside from St. Andrews - lived there for five years.<BR>If you want to be right on the course and are willing to pay for it opt for the Old Course Hotel. Its not exactly 'traditional' but you will get better food, service and amenities there.<BR>The most 'upscale' and traditional hotel is off of the 18th green called The Russacks. Their Champions Bar is reason enough to stay there.<BR>The St. Andrews Golf Hotel is right up the road from the first tee along the Scores facing the North Sea and is more moderate in price as well as atmosphere.<BR>There are a number of b&bs that you can find listings for on www.standrews.co.uk or the university site www.st-andrews.ac.uk.<BR>Of the b&bs I do know of there is a place called "Number 10" along Playfairs Road I believe. They are terribly reasonable, clean and friendly.<BR>Good luck and have a pint of 80 for me at the Central Bar!

Billyb Aug 23rd, 2002 07:51 PM

Thanx for the feedback. Zeba - we'll take care of that pint...There's got to be more golf nuts in this forum than this - like most of my shots, it's come up a little short :-) <BR>How about we change the subject to your top 10 favorite courses in Scotland/Ireland?

Sheila Aug 25th, 2002 03:00 AM

Billyb<BR><BR>There seem to be very few golf nuts on this forum. Try a search of "golf" under both UK and Ireland and you'll see what I mean:)<BR><BR>Anyway, your question wasn't about golf (about which I know a little and have more opinions) abut about B&Bs about which I know very little at all.Try the favourite golf courses question and see how you get on. I think there's at least one in here already you might like to look at first tho'.

Krista Aug 25th, 2002 12:12 PM

Has anyone played on the Adare Manor course? It looks gorgeous and I really want my husband to play somewhere, while we are in Ireland.

janis Aug 25th, 2002 12:44 PM

BillyB: I won't comment about the golf - I am just a duffer so when I take golfers to the UK I usually drop then at the clubhouse and spend the time seeing sights. But I do have one recommendation - Carnoustie and St Andrews are fairly close together. Instead of packing up and moving after one night at Carnoustie, stay near St Andrews the whole time (3 or 4 days). This will let you settle in more and probably pick up extra rounds w/ guys you meet there. <BR><BR>Rufflets is a great country House hotel on the outskirts of St Andrews and a less expensive than the Old Course Hotel. Many of my golfing friends actually prefer to stay in one of the fishing villages (Crail, Anstruther, etc) each has its own course and some - especially Crail - are a great round. All these courses are the qualifiers for the open when it is at St Andrews or Carnoustie.