Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland/Ireland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-ireland-693045/)

thisismyecho Apr 1st, 2007 01:29 PM

Scotland/Ireland

Headed to Scotland for a week, then Irlenad for a couple days, then back to Scotland, my girlfriend is deployed with the Army and we are meeting for her leave in Scotland, i have never been and there is so much information to take in. Can someone give suggestions where I can find a consolidated spot of the best things to do within the time frame? It will be the last week in June and first Week in July, thanks.

nbujic Apr 1st, 2007 01:56 PM

you could take a look at a couple of guidebooks like Fodor's, The Lonely Planet, etc.
There are also a number of threads right here on both countries.
If you are still not sure, a good travel agent may be able to help.

janisj Apr 1st, 2007 02:16 PM

&quot;<i>Can someone give suggestions where I can find a consolidated spot of the best things to do within the time frame?</i>&quot;

Do you mean a central location where you can see/do a lot -- OR -- do you mean a consolidated resource for researching.

If the former -- both countries are BIG places.

If the latter - begin by clicking DESTINATIONS above and follow the links. Lots of info to get you started.

A couple of days in Ireland is hardly worth the effort. Any particular place -- Dublin perhaps? Then you can just fly in and back out 2 days later. Easy as pie. But if you meant touring some other part of Ireland - 2 days ain't going to cut it.

sheila Apr 1st, 2007 02:20 PM

Do you know where you're meeting her and ho much time you'll have? (this is the Scottish bit I'm asking about.)

thisismyecho Apr 1st, 2007 03:25 PM

I should be more specific....We wont have a great deal of time in either, so I am looking to narrow down. We can meet anywhere, stay anywhere, do anything...that doesn't help much huh? She wants to stay somewhere we can take in the beauty and adventure in Scotland for the first week, take a quick trip(4 days) probably to Dublin and surrounding area for the second leg then to a nice 4-5 star hotel back in Scotland for pampering in the last two days.

sheila Apr 1st, 2007 11:01 PM

For the last two days, I suggest

1. Stobo
2. Cameron House; or
3. St Andrews Bay

(If money's no object, consider Gleneagles or Invergarry Castle).

For teh other bit, will you drive?

thisismyecho Apr 2nd, 2007 05:34 PM

We will have a car the whole time

janisj Apr 2nd, 2007 05:39 PM

&quot;<i>We will have a car the whole time</i>&quot;

Just to clarify - you don't mean to take a car to Ireland - right?

schuba Apr 2nd, 2007 05:40 PM

my trip has the same time frame. i am staying at Stobo Castle which looks good for fun and business.

sheila Apr 2nd, 2007 09:48 PM

OK. Options are wide open then....:)

I'd pick one area to concentrate on, rather than hake all the way round in such a short period of time, and beyond that it really depends on what you like to do.

Me, I'd head off to Argyll and the Isles and get some qaulity time on Colonsay, Jura, Islay, Gigha, in Kintyre and Cowal, ending up in Prestwick for the Dublin flight.

There are as many alternatives as hot dinners. Yould do the same in Fife and Perthshire, on Speyside, in the Outer Isles, Edinburgh and the Borders.