Scotland in October/November

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Eric

Scotland in October/November

My wife and I are thinking of traveling to Scotland the last week of October, first week and a half of November. We're hoping the weather isn't so wet/cold that we wouldn't be able to spend most of the day walking around outdoors during this time of year. Particularly if it meant having to put on the heavy winter coats. Any thoughts?

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:19 PM
janis

The weather cannot be predicted - it is very changeable. Count on cool to cold and rain. But snow is unlikely that early. A heavy coat is less necessary than a good waterproof jacket over a warm sweater.

In general - the west coast is warmer and wetter - the east coast drier and colder. The farther north the colder (and the shorter the daylight)

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Eric

Janis, thanks for reply. I'm finding on various websites that many of the more noteworthy castles, museums, etc., appear to be closed for the winter around that time. Is there enough out there to satisfy people who are feeling rained out on any given day (I realize that's a highly subjective question, and it likely varies considerably by region, but I'm finding these posts very helpful anyway).

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:45 PM
janis

Absolutely - the biggies (stirling, Edinburgh, etc) are open year round. Most of the Historic Scotland properties are open - some with limited hours.

Many places do close Oct 31.

If you plan your itinerary to be out in the country the 1st week and in Edinburgh and or Glasgow towards the end of the 2nd week you will haveplenty to see.

Jul 20th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Danna

eric... we visited scotland in the middle of October, many smaller sites do close at the end of October, it rained, but it rains anyway! Bring layers, it's not very cold... and gardens will still be amazing. We live in Northern Minnesota so anything alive in October amazes us! Please consider visiting Galloway in the SW... Have a grand time!

Jul 21st, 2002, 04:14 PM
alice

any ideas of places to stay cheap in Scotland in Glascow or edinburgh?? just 3-4 nights??

Oct 20th, 2002, 01:11 PM
ttt

TTT

Search this Thread