Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland in November (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-in-november-203535/)

Sherrie Sons Nov 3rd, 2001 01:55 PM

Scotland in November

Hi - <BR> <BR>I just ran across a terrific air fare for Scotland. I would be travelling alone toward the end of November but wanted to get some input. How is the weather in November (I know it's never sunny & warm)? Any suggestions for single travel (my first time going solo)? Any must-sees? Any other hints? <BR> <BR>Thank you for your help!

Hamish Nov 3rd, 2001 02:58 PM

Sherrie <BR> <BR>The weather won't be that great but that's not why you're coming is it? <BR> <BR>Give us an idea of what you like and we'll try to give you a hint or two

anne Nov 3rd, 2001 04:02 PM

Where are you flying into? If it is Glascow I have a suggestion, I lived in Stirling Scotland, gateway ti the Highlands.It is absolutely gorgeous,people are very nice, there is the Stirling castleand the "Braveheart" sights,etc... rent a car and take the back roads and see ancient castles and hamlets <BR>Edinburgh is also a must do. <BR>I love Inverness, Loch Ness,etc.... This of course is North <BR>There are some lovely old Inns with histoory and character you should look into, (hunting lodges and such) <BR>Just surf the net Google.com is my <BR> suggestion and have fun <BR>By the way it is not always cloudy and rainy. It will be chilly and maybe cold, jsut dress in layers,

Sherrie Nov 3rd, 2001 06:34 PM

In response to Hamish: <BR> <BR>I love old things (we don't have much "old" in the USA): castles, cathedrals, rocks, etc. Anything medieval is especially enjoyed, as well as countryside, horses, natural beauty. <BR> <BR>Thank you for your speedy response and thank you to Anne, as well!

Vanessa Nov 3rd, 2001 10:02 PM

Hey Sherrie, <BR>I also travelled on my own for the first time this past September/beginning of October and had a great time. I met some really nice people in both London (where I flew in and out of) and in Edinburgh. Edinburgh was gorgeous! Yes, it's a must. In Edinburgh, I stayed at a great guest house, Castle View Guest House. I absolutely loved it, but I must admit, by the end of the trip, I was wishing that I would have stayed at a hostel. Two of the women I met who were travelling on their own were staying at hostels and said that it was an easy way to meet people to tour the city with, or just to have lunch or dinner with. Take the literary pub tour in Edinburgh, you'll have a great time! Feel free to email if you have any further questions :) <BR>Vanessa

TAMMY Nov 4th, 2001 08:43 AM

Hi Sherrie. At the moment the forecast for Scotland is 54 degrees with rain and gales on the way. But the outlook is for colder frosty weather. At the same time our coldest weather is January and February so it won't get too cold just yet. Scotland is a lovely place regardless of weather

Tony Hughes Nov 4th, 2001 01:26 PM

I would dispute a lot of this. Sherrie, contrary to poular belief (including yours), sometimes it is warm and sunny. Summer 1995 it didnt rain where I was for 11 weeks. Dont believe the hype, dear. Sure it will be cold in November, its cold in most of northern europe during this time - what do you expect? <BR> <BR>Secondly you've got plenty of 'old' things in your country. From Santa Fe to Sevierville, there's history dating back 2000 years. That, in my book, is old. <BR> <BR>Scotland's here and that's all there is to it.

Alan Nov 4th, 2001 02:53 PM

We were just in Scotland in June, found a good guide that got us on a boat the entire length of Loch Lomond, through the castles in Sterling, Inverary, and Edinburgh and was reasonable. Go to www.safariscotland.co.uk for more info. Graham was excellent and will take good care of you. PS it was our choice to stay in the south and not go to the highlands this time, but I would get to the Highlands if you can.

Sherrie Nov 8th, 2001 04:37 PM

Thank you to everyone for the very helpful advice.<BR><BR>Tony - I can only say I'm amused ... my intent was not to spark a debate.<BR><BR>Thanks all!

c Nov 8th, 2001 04:48 PM

Sherrie - I made my first trip to Edinburgh for a week this past January. I had a wonderful time and found it a very easy city to enjoy as a woman traveling solo. It's an easy city to get around...plan on bringing some good walking shoes and putting them to use. <BR><BR>I went on a 12 hour van tour of the Highlands that was great. It was a very friendly group and we got to see a lot of the countryside in one day. <BR><BR>If you're staying in Edinburgh, be sure to get a hotel in central location so you can safely walk from your hotel at night. I stayed at the Old Waverly Hotel on Princes Street and was quite happy. While nothing fancy, it had a great location and very friendly service. Be sure to pop next store and load up on all of the fun bath products at Lush!

qiu Nov 8th, 2001 04:56 PM

I loved all of Scotland. These are my favourite places:<BR>1) Isle of Skye- surreal and lonely. My must-see!!!<BR>2) Fort William- Glen Nevis is a beautiful valley with a hanging waterfall in the shadow of Ben Nevis.I proposed there.<BR>3) Glen Coe- hauntingly beautiful<BR>4) Loch Lomond- pretty villages by the lake<BR>5) Edinburgh- more interesting and beautiful than industrial Glasgow.<BR><BR> Loch Ness was a disappointment tho.