Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland in 11 days? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-in-11-days-369826/)

kenav May 31st, 2008 05:52 AM

Scotland in 11 days?

Thinking about going to Scotland and staying in Edinburgh for 3 days and Glasgow for 2 (I know, too short a time). Then we have 6 days for traveling around. Would like to get to Isle of Mull and Skye - but what other places should we go to? Love birding, castles, etc etc

Any suggestions would be helpful. Don't want to drive hours to a different place every day.

jholc May 31st, 2008 06:03 AM

Have you considered staying in the highlands near Inverness instead of Glasgow? Glasgow is a nice city, but you would get more of the real Scotland by lodging in the highlands. You may have already made your reservations, but in Edinburgh, my favorite place to stay is the Elmview B&B. The rooms are large and it is central to everything in the city. They also provide private parking. I have stayed there at least three times. The breakfasts are great and the location is wonderful. Some of my favorite castles are Glamis, Blair and Cawdor. Another favorite place to visit is Glencoe, though it is a sad place.

janisj May 31st, 2008 06:05 AM

You could do a mad dash around half of Scotland in 6 daya like 80% of the threads posted on here - but thank heavens you sound more sensible :)

If it was me and I only had 6 days I'd stick to an area bounded by Mull > Skye > Stirling. There are hundreds of other places you could go, but w/o spreading yourselves too thin they are just too far and too much.

(while I was writing this jholc posted his - I might make other choices myself - but to say Inverness is more "real Scotland" than Glasgow? In a sense, Glasgow IS Scotland.)

I'd stay the best part of 2 full days on Mull. One for exploring the island and one for Iona/Staffa.

I's spend at least 2 full days on Skye. Not much in the way of castles - though there are some, but some of the most amazing scenery on Earth.

Then you have 2 days to play with and I'd spend then in the Trossachs - totally different scenery w/ waterfalls, castles, etc. You could see Loch Lomond, Inchmahome, Stirling/Doune Castles, the Falls of Dochart, lots of great walks, lochs Tay and Earn, Drummond Castle Garden etc etc.

janisj May 31st, 2008 06:18 AM

Oh - yes Glencoe really is a must - you would see it enroute from Skye to the Trossachs.

kenav May 31st, 2008 02:10 PM

What area is the Trossachs in?

noe847 May 31st, 2008 03:32 PM

And the drive up into Glen Coe, through Rannoch Moor and then descending is such a beautiful drive.

janisj May 31st, 2008 04:24 PM

&quot;<i>What area is the Trossachs in?</i>

The Trossachs is a region - Like the &quot;Borders&quot;, or the &quot;Highlands&quot;. It is the bit of Scotland between approx Stirling on the East, Loch Lomond on the West, and Loch Tay on the north.

Those aren't the actual edges of the Trossachs, but for a visitor that is close enough.

kenav May 31st, 2008 05:45 PM

What weather do you think we'll encounter at the end of September-beginning October?

kenav Jun 1st, 2008 06:42 PM

Trying again - weather anyone?

noe847 Jun 1st, 2008 07:00 PM

It will no doubt be variable and unpredictable. You can get a sense of the seasonal averages from a site like weather underground or weather.com, but that's really only a rough guide. You could get cold or warm, sunny or rainy, and should be prepared for all, with lots of layers, and waterproof jackets.

janisj Jun 1st, 2008 08:39 PM

&quot;<i>weather anyone?</i>&quot;

If anyone can tell you w/ any certainty (or even close) they should play the lottery.

It can basically be anything except hot. And it will probably be everything else at some time during your visit. Cold, cool, comfortable, windy, calm, rainy, clear - and some or all on the same day.

Just think dressing in layers . . . . .

sheila Jun 15th, 2008 08:06 AM

where did you get to on this one, Kenav?

kenav Jun 16th, 2008 06:21 PM

Heard/read it may actually be sunnier than in July-August. Of course with Scotland, no weather is guaranteed. (Actually, as with most places.) Temperature-wise: 60's (F) day and possibly colder in eve.