Search

Scotland Highlands Activities for the Non-Hiker

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland Highlands Activities for the Non-Hiker

Hello everyone,

My daughter and I are thinking of going to Scotland for a week. She is 25, and I'm in my 60s. We're thinking of maybe doing 2 days in Edinburgh, 2 days in Glasgow, and three days in the Highlands.

We have gotten hooked on Scotland from the show Outlander, and we have seen gorgeous pictures of the Highlands, so we think we want to explore that area.

Here is our concern - We are not outdoorsy people to begin with. We'll drive up to beautiful scenery and take it all in, but we are not the type of people who will hike up a path to see a wonderful view.

We would be going in mid-late September, and we're just wondering - what is there for us to do in the Highlands as non-hikers? Also, I'm assuming the temps will be in the 50s-60s Fahrenheit, correct?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 10:07 AM

<i>I'm assuming the temps will be in the 50s-60s Fahrenheit, correct? </i>

Possibly.

As for what's in the Highlands - Scenery, Whisky, Gin, Wildlife, Castles - if you add the Islands to that you then have glorious beaches
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 11:16 AM

We drove through a part of the Highlands. My wife is not a hiker, although flat walking is OK. It's a little old, but you might want to take a look at my trip report; click on my name to find it.
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 11:20 AM

Here are the pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca...437796997/show
Old Jul 30th, 2017, 11:47 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Rabbies is perfect for you. They do small group tours (16 or fewer passengers) from both Glasgow and Edinburgh (more options from Edinburgh)

Pick the tour that sounds best and they will drive you to and through all the best bits.

https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-.../2-4-day-tours

https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-...ow/3-day-tours
Old Aug 1st, 2017, 10:14 AM

Fancyface, I'm booked on this Rabbies tour on 9/11. I'll be sure to do a trip report so you can see if it's for you. For what it's worth, I'm a middling hiker myself. My motivation is better if there's chocolate at the end

https://www.rabbies.com/en/scotland-...stles-day-tour
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 09:27 AM

Susan - please do post a trip report since I've been curious about Rabbies' tours for a while. The one you've booked looks appealing and includes a lot of stops (versus drive bys)!
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 09:33 AM

You might want to have a look at my description of a Rabbies Tour here:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-hebrides.cfm
Old Aug 2nd, 2017, 09:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The day trips are good, but to clarify a bit . . . In the OP's situation I was thinking more of one of the multi day tours.
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 05:14 AM

fancyfare - If you are not looking for a tour and want to drive yourselves then I'd recommend Glencoe. You can click on my name for my trip report that is currently a work in progress. From my perspective there is no need to hike to see spectacular views in Glencoe. You just drive through the area and the amazing views are simply all around you - like you saw just pull over and look. I think once can say the same about Skye...views and scenery just about everywhere. Of course they may get better if you are inclined to hike but its not necessary.
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 05:16 AM

sorry about the typos 'say not saw' and 'one not once'
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 07:08 AM

Elberko - thanks for posting the link to your report (i vaguely remember reading it but not sure if I printed it for my "vacation planning" files). I'll keep Rabbies in mind for the future. I like the idea that you can pick your level of accommodation.
Old Aug 3rd, 2017, 08:40 AM

You can not only pick your level of accommendation, you can select your own hotel/ B&B. I did this on my most recent tour(s) with Rabbies in June. The only requirement is that it must be in city centre. To add to Elberko's report on Rabbies, one of the positives is that if you book a tour that tour goes even if you are the only passenger. No cancellations because the tour didn't get a minimum number of passengers. I have done 6 tours with Rabbies so, of course, I've been very happy with them. I've frequently found that stops are made at places/ sites not on the itinerary. This makes for some very pleasant surprises. The guides are excellent not only providing historical commentary but information on the geology and geography of an area.

If anyone has further questions regarding Rabbies, please let me know.