Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland -- GPS-Cell Phones-Ipod Play list (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-gps-cell-phones-ipod-play-list-641484/)

misha2 Aug 23rd, 2006 06:57 PM

Scotland -- GPS-Cell Phones-Ipod Play list

I am finally working out the details of renting a car out of EDI. As per Fodorite's suggestions we will probably go with Autoeurope.

1) How useful would a GPS system be to and from Skye?

2)How is cell phone service on the bakc roads? I'm wondering whether we should rent one.

3)I assume a car adapter for US IPODS should work on rental cars in Scotland. What music would you play on Scottish country drives? I would love names of some hip, young Scottish bands too.

Thanks

sheila Aug 24th, 2006 05:01 AM

I really don't think you need GPS in Scotland

There are places where you don't get mobile phone coverage in rural Scotland but it is getting better. Vodaphone has the best coverage where it's iffy with others.

IPODs are ubiquitous here.

Try Texas, Franz Ferdinand, Belle & Sebastian, Travis, Snow Patrol, Idlewild

and any good Scottish traditional music that takes your fancy.

misha2 Aug 24th, 2006 08:33 AM

Thanks Sheila.

I'm also topping my response to your last message in my itinerary post. So, if you get a chance...

misha2 Aug 28th, 2006 06:47 PM

Where is the best place in Edinburgh to rent a phone? Does anyone know how much this might be?

Our phones here are not SIM compatible.

I just want to be able to call home (the US) to check on the kids and have something if our rental breaks down.

janisj Aug 28th, 2006 06:55 PM

If you just want to make a few calls back home or to B&Bs and restautants - it will be MUCH cheaper to just buy a phone card after you are in Scotland. You can use them in any pay phone or from most regular land lines. A £5 card will be more than enough since you will pay just pennies per minute.

I wouldn't bother w/ a cell phone.

misha2 Aug 28th, 2006 07:11 PM

Perfect! Thanks Janis. Now, can you tell me more about the sturdy comfortable shoes I've read you writing about in other threads?

janisj Aug 28th, 2006 07:35 PM

I saw you were thinking of taking hiking boots. Probably not necessary for your trip. Unless you want to do some real hiking/climbing - just good sturdy shoes w/ a decent tread sole will be more than adequate. Plus they can be worn every day for general sightseeing.

Any of the Ecco, Rockport etc types - or even some Clark's, will be fine. Don't try to use new shoes - good broken in walking shoes would be better. If you don't have anything like that - check out any walking shoe store or even Nordstroms because they have such large shoe depts.

Robespierre Aug 28th, 2006 07:40 PM

It's been many years since I've driven in Scotland, but I could have made good use of a GPS on a few occasions when I ventured off the main roads between Glasgow and Ayr.

There are a great number of tiny, tiny roads in the Northwest Highlands that a little satellite navigation would facilitate finding.

I vote yes.