Scotland Ferry/Train Reservations in May

Mar 9th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Scotland Ferry/Train Reservations in May

I'm planning a trip to Scotland in May where we'll be renting a car in Glasgow and driving around soaking up the gorgeous scenery. My question is how important is it to make reservataions for the following:

Ferry, Oban to Craignure on May 13 (late afternoon or evening)
Ferry, Fishnish to Lochaline on May 15 (morning)
Ferry, Mallaig to Armadale on May 15 (late afternoon or evening)
Train, Stirling to Edinburgh on May 25 (leave morning, return late afternoon or evening)

We're trying to keep the schedule fairly flexible so I was wondering what the chances were of just showing up at the ferry or train and getting on without a reservation. Are we early enough in the season for that, or should we really make reservations if we don't want to get stranded somewhere?

This is part of the constant struggle between me, the obsessive-compulsive, plan everything down to the last detail type of person, and my husband who wants to "wing it" for the entire trip. [...smile...] So any advice from those who are more familiar with how crowded the ferries and trains are at that time of year would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:49 AM

The ferries will only be busy in May if there is some special event on. However, if you're aiming for the last sailing of the day, it might be wise to phone ahead to make sure, particularly as you're travelling around a weekend.
As for the train, I doubt whether you can reserve from Stirling to Edinburgh: it's a short journey and the trains are frequent.
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:53 AM

I probably would book Oban to Craignure because that is a friday afternoon. Not that the ferry will necessarily be booked up - but weekenders may make it busier than normal.

I also might book the latest sailing you would consider on the Mallaig to Armadale route just for insurance purposes - that is a Sunday afternoon so again might be a bit busier than otherwise. Then if you get there in time to catch an earlier ferry great. But if it is full you'll at least have a later reservation.
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! This is exactly the information I needed.

Search this Thread