Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 2 Greek Islands, female solo traveller.
- 3 Driving
- 4 Need help with Mykonos vs. Naxos/Paros
- 5 Ferry vs. plane Athens to Santorini
- 6 Highway Death Rates in Europe Now Fewer than in U.S...
- 7 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 8 Change of resident
- 9 How best to see the Douro Valley?
- 10 Sixt Car Rental? Good/Bad? Any reviews/experiences?
- 11 The World's Greatest Churches
- 12 Italy with kids - off the beaten bath
- 13 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 14 Problem with Trip Advisor
- 15 Bilbao, Basque Country, declared Best European City 2018
- 16 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 17 Copenhagen, Stockholm & Bergen April 2018
- 18 Champs E.....no market ‘this year? How will it look?
- 19 Need Car & Driver for Southern Italy
- 20 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 21 Viking Cruise Tours (Barcelona and French Riviera)-- Please Help
- 22 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 23 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 24 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 25 10 days trip to Europe in June of 2018
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway