Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scotland---Attractive cities with lower cost of living AND jobs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm researching moving to the UK from the US early next year. I have an EU passport and will have a degree in history in hand. I have some work experience as a tutor, waiter, receptionist/secretary, assistant editor for a college alumni magazine, bank teller, and museum guide.

I'm looking for an entry-level job that pays at least (hopefully) 9 pounds an hour. I plan to go to grad school there in a couple years or so and then continue with my career.

I have a general question---what Scottish cities have a relatively lower cost of living whilst also having a decent job market? Edinburgh is very expensive; it would seem to be very hard to live close to the center, and I don't expect to be driving a car for several years.

I don't know enough about other cities like Aberdeen, Inverness, and Glasgow to tell (only visited as a tourist).

Basically I don't want to arrive in Scotland and spend months looking for a job---I won't be bringing that much money with me---so a compromise between lower cost of living and available vacancies would be a good idea.

Thanks!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:43 AM

Aberdeen can also be expensive, especially in the city centre, as can Glasgow. Being form the southwest myself, I would tend to look at Dumfries, Ayr, or Kilmarnock. All of them towns rather than cities, very pleasant places, with a reasonable cost of living. You may find a job on campus at Dumfries, although temping may be esaier to start with.
If the southwest doesn't appeal, what about Dundee? Nice city, although i don't know it well enough to comment on the job market.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:26 AM

I just got back from living in Edinburgh for 9 months.

I don't have a degree and I spent most of my time doing office work temping. The most I earned an hour was 8.50 but on average it was about 7.50. Entry level jobs start at 5.50 an hour, which isn't really very much at all but you can definitely earn more if you have experience. I was never out of work for more than 2 weeks at a time, thanks to recruitment agencies.

I honestly didn't think Edinburgh was that expensive, especially compared to cities down in England. Bus travel is really cheap and the buses are frequent.

You should definitely try to get a bank job, especially as you have experience. They pay well and there's usually jobs going at Royal Bank of Scotland or at the Bank of Scotland.

If you're willing to live with several other people, living near or in the city is financially feasible as you share all the bills.

Edinburgh is a beautiful city, give it a try!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:47 AM

Hi. Of what you have suggested, I think Inverness would be the best option. Glasgow is cheap, but it's nae bonny....

There are a lot of nice medium sized towns all over the place which are probably better value.

Oban? Elgin? Crieff?

Friday is jobs day in the Scotsman and Herald.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:33 AM

I would have suggested Inverness too. really good transport connections and a busy town. Or perhaps Dumfries.

Don't know what the costs of living are in Perth (I suspect a bit high but definitely less than Edinburgh). That might be another option.

If you can get a banking job maybe you could start in one of the larger cities and then transfer to a less expensive smaller town. Even small towns often have multiple bank branches.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 07:28 AM

I did something similar 10 years ago and landed in Dublin (legally I have dual citizenship). I still am in shock when I rrealised I would be on 1/2 what I made in NY and everything is 2x's more expensive. Well believe me you will get by and live differently. I haven't starved yet and finally figured out how to get the better jobs etc from experience.

1st thing to do is write a CV. IS your 1-2 pages? If so just take out Resume on Tom and replace with CV or Curriculm Vitae. Also add more personal details (I never add DOB as I think it's non of their business)Do name, Nationality (and add that you are an EU passport holder) then e-mail and address contacts. Some people put age and a few more details.

Now start looking at recruitment agencies in the cities you want to work in and send your CV and mention your banking experience in the mail to make sure they open you CV attached.

I would still consider Edinburgh. It will be a large job market and you could get a room in an a shared apartment. I had many firends living and studying there and managed to live on small salaries. And to be honest if you need money get a small PT job. I always did this in the Ststes and I did when I first came over to make ends meet.

Try this site:
http://www.jobs1.co.uk/directory/rec...edinburgh.html

http://www.edinburghguide.com/business/recruitment.htm

http://www.reed.co.uk/nicheContent.a...lJobsEdinburgh

If you apply as a post grad make sure you are there a certain amount of time permanently to avoid paying non-EU fees. For example when I first came over I would have paid non EU fees in many college as they want you to be resident in the EU for 3 years prior to be eligible for this.

Go for it I did and never regretted it.

S
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Glasgow may be nae bonny, as Sheila says, but it is an exciting city with lots going on, in terms of culture, nightlife, bars, restaurants etc. It's a bit cheaper than Edinburgh.

It all depends on whether you want to be in a big city or not : if you do, it has to be Edinburgh or Glasgow. I'm a city girl (and don't drive), so couldn't live anywhere else in Scotland. I daresay you are a lot younger than me too.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would focus on Glasgow initially; it seems to me that given your status you need to look for maximum diversity of opportunity. Smaller towns may be more attractive, but sometimes "affordability" is a misnomer because the housing/retail markets are so small that you need to be lucky or have a successful "rifle shot" at cheap accommodations or decent jobs. In addition, and this is a global, not Scottish, factor, you need to add the commuting costs to access employment sources into the formula.

As in all things, it soon becomes a question of who you know rather than what you know that helps in moving up the wage/career ladder, and the bigger cities will have that demographic base.

Besides, Glasgow has bonny bits too. Several of them.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the fine suggestions!