scotland& scottish isles

May 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

scotland& scottish isles

Hi,I am going to some places in scotland including fort william Skye, Ullapool, Lewis and glasgow could anyone give me any information on any sightseeing & places of interest in any of these places.It will be my husband myself and my 4yr old child thanks
May 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM

The Glasgow-Ft William- Maillaig train ride, the West Highlands Line (?) i believe, is one of europe's most scenic train rides - if driving follow the course of the railway as much as possible, which often goes along the gorgeous coasts and by idyllic lochs, etc.

esp when it goes thru the Ranloch (sp?) Moor - a desolate barren moor only the rail traverse at points

From Ft William to Maillag (sp?) there are special steam trains that may delight a 4-yr old

At Maillag you hop the ferry (pedestrians and cars) to go to Skye where buses take you around or if driving roads, of course.
May 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM

(It is Rannoch Moor and Mallaig.)

mbw0120: How long is your trip? And what time of year? There are MANY more places to see in those areas than you will have time to see - so don't just rush around madly. Take your time and you'll have a terrific time.

BTW - Ft William is nothing much -- at all. In fact it is a pretty nasty place to stay. What did you plan on seeing/doing in Ft William. It is a crossroads to some wonderful places - but not worth a stop itself.

On Skye you will have mostly amazing scenery - not many places to visit. There is the Talsiker Distillery and Dunvegan Castle. But mainly it is just the most fascinating and gorgeous scenery -- IF you get decent weather. (They don't call it the misty Isle of nothing)

On Lewis/Harris there is lots to see - neolithic sites, beaches, weavers, etc.

Up in Ullapool and the NW you will find mostly really wonderful remote rural scenery, gorgeous beaches, Inverwe Gardens.

Glasgow has great parks and museums, a transport museum and more.

May 16th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Janis is right. How long you have, and how you are travelling, will decide if it's sensible to try and visit all these places.
To see the best of any of these places you need to spend at least one or two days in them, plus the time to travel to and from them. If you don't have much time, visit fewer places and take time to enjoy them.
Fort William is in a superb location but the town itself is nothing special. All the other places you mentioned are worth spending time on. The scenery of the west coast of Scotland, anywhere within about 50 miles north or south of Ullapool, is the best in the world.
May 17th, 2008, 01:25 AM

Is this a "Roots" tour? How long will you have?