Reload this Page >

Scotland and Foot and Mouth Disease

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 09:40 AM
beth

Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm traveling to Scotland this summer and am wondering if anyone knows anything about restrictions on hiking or other activities due to the Food and Mouth Disease outbreak? Any info is greatly appreciated -- THANKS! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 10:53 AM
KT

It's hard to generalize -- the situation keeps changing, and it depends upon which part of Scotland you're interested in. <BR> <BR>The site www.scotexchange.net is the best place I've found for keeping up to date. It has links to the latest info on openings and access from all the area tourist boards and from the National Trust for Scotland, Forestry Commission, etc.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Paul

I'm also traveling to Scotland for a golf trip in June/July and I've heard that many of the museums, distilleries, etc.. are CLOSED. A friend of a friend says to NOT BOTHER with a trip there. Does anyone have any feedback on the "real" situation? <BR>Thanks.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 12:46 AM
Sheila

2 things- <BR> <BR>from a hiking point of view I think it's worse, today, than it looks on the web sites; but we are expecting that we may be well off the the hook in the next week or two. the one place we seem to have got this thing under control is Scotland (touch wood; please God). They are talking about creating a ban on animal movements south to north so that they can open up everything north of the Forth Clyde canal. I've spent months sorting out a hiking trip for a Fodorite at the satrt of June, and I'm more confident today than I've been for the last 6 weeks that it'll be OK. <BR> <BR>As to museums and distilleries, Paul, your information is ay off. Whislt many things do not open here till Easter, that's seasonal. Nothing of that nature is planning to be closed. <BR> <BR>Unless you are intending to spend your whole holiday walking off piste, you won't even know it's happening. And whilst I appreciate, holidays are for fun and aren't intended to be economic development exercises, you cannot imagine the devastation taking place everywhere in rural Britain as a consequence of the drop in tourism. PLEASE COME

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 06:46 AM
Ron

Sheila, thanks for the reassurance about things being open in Scotland. My wife and I will be there next month and since we are not hikers it sounds as though we should be ok. We'll be staying in Uplawmoor and Humbie and the one must do is to show my wife the Dunoon/Sandbank area, where my submarine used to have refits. (This was in the early/mid 1970's.) We are really looking forward to the trip. <BR>Where is the Forth Clyde canal? I haven't been able to find it on our maps. Thanks<BR>Ron

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:28 AM
siobhan mcphail

Ron<BR><BR>I hope you will be pleased to know that Dunoon and Sandbank have changed little over the years and the scenery remains spectacular.<BR><BR>My family still live there although I left to go to university around the time the US Navy were getting ready to pack up and leave. Last Sunday my husband and I were visiting and we drove from Dunoon to Tighnabruaich - the early spring colours in the Kyles of Bute were fantastic. If you and your wife have a little free time when you are visiting please think about taking this short (90 minutes each way) trip as it’s well, well worth it. If you wish I’ll send you some travel details.<BR><BR>You will find information on the Forth and Clyde Canal at the following addressesBR><BR><BR>http://www.perryweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/canal/guide/fandc1.html<BR><BR>http://www.forthandclydecanal.com/<BR><BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Siobhan<BR>

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 07:49 AM
Sheila

Iguess you'd be offended if I said it runs between the Forth and the Clyde, Ron?I guess you'd be offended if I said it runs between the Forth and the Clyde, Ron?<BR><BR>It goes from Grangemouth on the Forth to Bowling on the Clyde, and is not presently navigable along its length

Old Apr 1st, 2001, 08:10 AM
Ron

Sheila,<BR>I'm not the least offended. I found Bowling and Grangemouth so I guess it's the little blue unmarked line on my map. It looks like it's just a bit north of where we'll be.<BR>Thanks