Reload this Page >

Scotland Accomodation in shoulder period

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 11:51 PM
Desley

Hi,<BR>Family of 4 travelling to Scotland in sgoulder period-late Sept/ early Oct. Touring in car from Edinburgh, Dundee to inverness and maybe Fort William/Glencoe. Do we need to book well ahead, or is their plenty of vacancies, and then we ring morning before arrival?

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:02 AM
Sheila

plenty vacancies. Book anything you especiaaly want

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:44 AM
sylvia

If you go to any tourist information centre they'll book ahead for you.<BR>I personally prefer Fort Augustus to Fort William. It's at the head of Loch Ness.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:43 AM
janis

Personally, I would book ahead for Edinburgh - but that is simply because there are 2 or 3 places I prefer and they are usually pretty full.<BR><BR>Otherwise - use the book a bed ahead scheme sylvia mentions. It works like this - Say you are visiting St Andrews. Go first to the TIC and put in your request for a B&B north of Dundee - then go walk around the sights of St Andrews. come back when you are done and your reservation will have been made for you. Very convenient and it saves a lot of time searching on your own.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:06 AM
kitty

You say you are a family of 4. Are you looking for 1 or 2 rooms? If you are looking for all of you to stay in one family room I would suggest researching and booking in advance. My experience is that it is hard to find places that have a room that will hold 4 people. I would want to guarantee I got a family room by reserving in advance.<BR><BR>If you will be happy with two rooms then you have more leeway on booking.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
janis

I also would recommend booking ahead for family rooms IF you were going in high season. But you are going in the off season and there there is no problem. The TICs will be able to find 2 rooms or family rooms just about anywhere.<BR><BR>This gives you the flexibility to change your route as you go along - stay a while longer if you fall in love with a place, or to move on and skiip an area entirely. It is not fair (especially in the off season) to pre-book and then change your mind and not show up. So plan your route as you go along.<BR><BR>