Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland Abolishes Bridge Tolls (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-abolishes-bridge-tolls-709533/)

Craigellachie May 31st, 2007 03:52 PM

Scotland Abolishes Bridge Tolls

In one of the first decisions of the Scottish Parliament since the elections on 3 May, tolls on the Forth Road Bridge and Tay Road Bridge are to be abolished by the end of 2007. The two bridges on the east coast were the only ones in Scotland where you had to pay to get across and this did a lot of damage to tourism and the local economy. The Kingdom of Fife suffered more than most as it has the Forth Bridge to the south and the Tay Bridge to the north as it main access routes. The tolls also caused big traffic congestion especially when goinig north from Edinburgh into Fife, Perthshire and beyond.
Well done the new Scottish Government. If they can do this in a month they can do great things in four years.

RM67 May 31st, 2007 05:05 PM

Fingers crossed for the Dartford River Crossing next! 8-)

Craigellachie Jun 6th, 2007 04:03 PM

RM67,
I don't think Alex Salmond's influence stretched quite that far, but as the soon to be crowned GB Prime Minister lives right under the Forth Road Bridge he might be sympathetic to your desires.

ira Jun 7th, 2007 06:11 AM

Where will the trolls live if they have been abolished from the bridges?

sheila Jun 7th, 2007 09:04 AM

Not that I'm doubting you, Craig m'dear, but I can't find this on the news?

PalenQ Jun 7th, 2007 09:10 AM

Ira- the word troll(s) has been officially banned by Fodor's editors.

bluestar Jun 7th, 2007 09:13 AM

sheila,

http://tinyurl.com/2z3rxx

sheila Jun 8th, 2007 12:12 AM

I see. It's in the Scottish press as a proposal.

Oh well; not a bad thing.

Mucky Jun 8th, 2007 01:20 AM

Come on Welsh Assembly are you watching ???

Muck

dadaland Jun 8th, 2007 02:10 AM

Curious news, I live in Fife and cross Forth Brige and Tay Bridge regularly, watch BBC Reporting Scotland daily. I will be the first one jumping for joy if that is true!

caroline_edinburgh Jun 8th, 2007 03:25 AM

The Forth Road Bridge toll is £1. Do you really think that deters people from visiting Fife ?

PalenQ Jun 8th, 2007 08:45 AM

Caroline - why do you think Americans at least use the word Scotch to mean cheapskate?

wellididntknowthat Jun 8th, 2007 09:06 AM

Ouch! Think you should batten down the hatches after that one PalenQ. Cheapskate! Definite red card offence!

Josser Jun 8th, 2007 09:09 AM

I just wonder how they will pay for maintemance

PalenQ Jun 8th, 2007 09:12 AM

Ouch! Think you should batten down the hatches after that one PalenQ. Cheapskate! Definite red card offence!

at least that's better than being a Welcher - slang for Welsh and somebody who goes back on a deal

i think probably the English came up with these terms and they sent them over here on the Mayflower.

Nothing bad for Irish i can think of.

Josser Jun 8th, 2007 09:27 AM

Of an illogical statement
"That sounds a bit Irish"

Mucky Jun 8th, 2007 02:28 PM

Hi Caroline
£1 !!! hell thats cheap the severn bridge is now £5.20 for a car and £20 odd for a lorry.

Rip off !!
But its unlikely the W Assembly will subsidise the severn bridge.

Its a laf !!
Just like that pub we went to that ran out of lemonade...lol
When u next in cardiff?
Muck

caroline_edinburgh Jun 10th, 2007 11:21 PM

Hi Mucky. We'll next be down in October : I made the mistake of booking opera without checking whether that weekend was impacted by rugby (as I would in Feb/Mar) - silly me not to realise it's impacted by a rugby tournament *supposedly happening in France* !! So driving down & hoping to stay with our friends whose house has been getting done up for 3.5 years.

flanneruk Jun 11th, 2007 12:13 AM

"at least that's better than being a Welcher - slang for Welsh and somebody who goes back on a deal"

And your evidence for this is?

"i think probably the English came up with these terms"
But NO reputable etymological dictionary does.

Melissa5 Jun 11th, 2007 12:25 AM

IRA: I could have sworn the title of this thread was actually "Scotland Abolishes Bridge TROLLS, and I read it 3 times! :-D