Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scotland (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scotland-635344/)

nlsauvan Jul 31st, 2006 03:48 AM

Scotland

I will be leaving for Scotland on August 7th and was wondering what the weather would be like this time of year. Also, what type of clothing is appropriate for over there. Will I need to bring jackets/sweaters/sweatshirts for layering?

traveller1959 Jul 31st, 2006 03:58 AM

I just came back from Scotland the day before yesterday.

We had temperatures around 30° C which was, however, unusually warm for Scotland. Be also prepared for 17° C and rainy days.

caroline_edinburgh Jul 31st, 2006 04:02 AM

As traveller1959 says it has been unusually warm this year (although cooler today). Do bring at least 1 sweater & a light jacket for layering, and a small fold-up umbrella. I'd say it's usually c.16-21 degrees C (daytime) in August.

caroline_edinburgh Jul 31st, 2006 04:04 AM

P.S. My comments just apply to Edinburgh. (Sorry, for some reason I read it that you were just coming to Edinburgh.) Of course if you're planning to go up mountains, that would be quite different.

sheila Jul 31st, 2006 06:46 AM

It's pretty scorchio here, too. Currently running at about 24-25 in early afternoon.

Bring shorts and teeshirts. No change on the near horizon.

caroline_edinburgh Jul 31st, 2006 07:20 AM

Sheila, isn't it colder there today ? It is here, and quite windy.

Mimar Jul 31st, 2006 08:38 AM

Wow, leaving in a week and just now thinking about the weather and what kind of clothes to bring. This is SO not my style.

I look at www.weatherbase.com for climate information and www.weather.com for predictions close to departure time. Welcome to the first step on the slippery slope of overplanning!

historytraveler Jul 31st, 2006 10:05 AM

Wow! I've had my travel wardrobe planned for months now. Lots of long sleeve T-shirts, light-weight cashmere, some hoodie tops, a warmer sweater, all the layering type of clothing, plus the usual rain gear. Now I'm thinking I need to toss in a couple of short sleeve T-shirts/tops!

alanRow Jul 31st, 2006 10:53 AM

2 days ago it was 80+ in Edinburgh, today it barely reached 70.

sheila Jul 31st, 2006 11:12 AM

when I posted it was lovely. We've had a thunder plout this afternoon and dropped about 10 degrees.

sheila Jul 31st, 2006 11:17 PM

It's gorgeous again this morning. We've had haar, but it's burned off already

doonhamer Aug 1st, 2006 02:25 AM

Spoke to relatives in Dumfries last night (July 31) and it's beltin doon (raining heavily)

caroline_edinburgh Aug 1st, 2006 03:24 AM

Sunny-ish but cool & windy here at lunchtime today, forecast 18 degrees C (which is about average for this time of year) & rain.

Keep an eye on the BBC 5 day forecast during the next week - www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1808

misha2 Aug 1st, 2006 03:30 AM

I'm in shock that anyone is organized enough to have his or her travel wardrobe planned months in advance. Do you just keep a list or actually start putting things away?

So much to do so little time...

caroline_edinburgh Aug 1st, 2006 04:03 AM

I know what you mean, Misha !

I was just thinking about what I'd bring, if I were just coming to Edinburgh for a few days next week (since I don't know where else you are going).

I'd bring jeans, short sleeved t shirts, a warm jumper to go on top, sensible shoes & socks - for if it's cool and/or raining.

Cotton or linen skirts, short sleeved tops to go with them, a light cardigan or jumper in case required on top, & sandals - for if it's warm.

And a small folding brolly.

caroline_edinburgh Aug 1st, 2006 04:06 AM

Also it depends what you're used to, temperature-wise. I was out a few Saturdays ago when it was quite warm to me - wearing a cotton skirt, short sleeved top and sandals - and got talking to some South Africans who were wearing coats & were still freezing :-)

A denim jacket is also a good alternative to a cardigan, for wearing with skirts when it gets cooler in the evening.

janisj Aug 1st, 2006 06:08 AM

Just in case -- UK "Jumper" = US "Pullover sweater"

caroline_edinburgh Aug 2nd, 2006 12:03 AM

Had my first Fringe experience of the year last night, waiting in the rain for 20 minutes for a delayed show to start - and I'd forgotten my brolly :-( Still, the show was very good indeed - it was the first preview of 'Black Watch'.)

Grey & threatening rain this morning, probably c.16 degrees C. - if I knew where my coats were (we've just moved), I might have worn one !

sheila Aug 2nd, 2006 12:55 AM

It's cold and wet this morning.

Don't you just LOVE Scotland.

sheila Aug 6th, 2006 04:28 AM

Right this second (it's 1.30pm) it's tipping down; but it's forecast to clear by mid afternoon.

Forecast for the next 5 days is dry and bright with showers with minimum temps of 10ish debgrees and maximum of about 23.