Reload this Page >

SCOTLAND-6/28-7/7

Search

SCOTLAND-6/28-7/7

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:14 AM
suzy

SCOTLAND-6/28-7/7

We might ahve the oppurtunity to travel to scotland this year during this time period. We've been to edinburgh-so we will not stop by on this trip. Plan to fly into Glasgow and then head to the highlands. What would you suggest for 8 Days? ending back in Glasgow. Also is it possible and convienent to travel without a car? Is transportation frequesnt to vist Lock ness, inverness,etc?? Thanks!<BR><BR>P.S. Are the gnats/flies/midgies really a problem when we go?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:50 AM
lol

Car is pretty essential if you really want to see the highlands. Suggest from Glasgow you drive up Loch Lomond, visit the Trossacks around Aberfoyle, then continue up over Rannock Moor, Etive Moor, through Glencoe etc...<BR><BR>If you've a taste for driving, further north, Skye is stunning as is the coast road up to Ullapool as well as various side trips down Loch Garry. It is not too far to drive across to Loch Ness from the west coast (eg Plockton etc). If you love the mountains it is worth driving around. There are also good distilleries at Oban and on Skye, my personal favourite; Tallisker.<BR><BR>I am a driving nut and love the scenary rather than the towns - it's all up to your taste.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Sheila

I have anumber of routes stored on Word, I'll happily send you if you email me. They tend to be longer than the 400 word chunks Fodors lets you post at a time.<BR><BR>And no, midies should not be a huge problem that early in the season.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:27 PM
yvonne

Sheila, please email me the Word document on the various routes you mentioned. Thanks

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Rosemary

Sheila, Would you please e-mail those routes to me also. Are midgies a problem in September? I have printed off much of the Scotland information that you have so graciously shared with others on this forum.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Sheila

Rosemary, I sent you a range of stuff about 2 minutes ago. (I had a slight technological hitch-I thought I sent it two hours ago!!).<BR><BR>Come back to me for changes. Incidentally, mostly what I have in Word is here, somewhere. it just gets boring posting it again and again. It's a small country you know. There are only so many ways you can drive round it

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Sheila

Oh, and midgies are past their worst by September. personally I only worry in July and August on the west coast when it's warm and wet

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:41 PM
julie

Okay--<BR>What are midgies? We have done many outdoor activities in the US and I am familiar with blackflies, gnats, no-seeums and mosquitoes. But, what are these?

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Sheila

Well, they're not as bad as any of the above, but they are tiny flying insects that bite. They are worst where it's warm and wet, and worst of all in the early evening/dusk. They can't cope with wind.<BR><BR>You are coming at the worst time for them. Given the answers you're getting elsewhere, if they REALLY worry you, stay north and east. Personally I wouldn't change my plans to accommodate them. <BR><BR>Have a look at<BR><BR>http://www.scotweb.co.uk/environment/midges/index.html<BR><BR>and take it with a pinch of salt

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Rosemary

Hi Shelia, Thanks so much for all the information that you have so graciously shared with me. I agree that posting the same information must get boring for you and I really appreciate your help. I have tracked down all the Scotland threads that I could and I have printed much of the information that you have shared previously.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Sheila

No problem. Feel free to come back with more specific queries or if you want different options let me know.