We have updated our plan. We will be skipping York and will stay the first night in Cambridge, see the sites a bit (knowing this is short) and hopping the train to Edinburgh. We're excited about train travel and know the first 2 days will be tight (cranky, jet lagged, whiny).
I don't know how long to stay in Edinburgh. Originally felt 4 days would be nice--history, castle, Holyrood, wandering around old town. Day trips to Stirling, Roslyn, (and can we squeeze in a trip to Hadrian's wall or am I crazy?) are thoughts as well. We don't want to hop from place to place for accomodations. And with more day trips, we'll need to stay longer
Then thought 5-6 days in a central Scotland location from a home base with a rental car from Edinburgh (thank you for that advice). We want to see Inverness (in passing), Culloden, Eileen Donan, Jacobite train (at least one way), Skye vs Mull and some scenery--we enjoy driving, but we don't want to have scenery overload like we had on a non-stop driving trip in Alaska. Not a trip to hike this time. Plus keeping a 10 year old entertained a bit (sheep dogs in action?). Asking for a lot I know.
Ideas for a central home base and things to see would be much appreciated.
Actual places to stay would be nice too--budget per night I'd like to keep slim around 100 pounds per night.
Total time we have is 3 weeks--landing/leaving from London with 6 days in London to finish the trip.
Whew! With that wordy post, I'll end.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 HP PRINTER 1800:681:7208 installation CONTACT HP Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 3 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 4 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 5 London vacation rental agency
- 6 The 2017-18 Ashes thread - up now on the Aussie forum.
- 7 Scotland ideas
- 8 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 9 land vs river cruise
- 10 The World's Greatest Churches
- 11 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 12 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 13 Germany, Switzerland and Paris with teens
- 14 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 15 Malaga Christmas lights
- 16 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 17 Trans Siberian Train
- 18 Tips for first trip to UK
- 19 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 20 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 21 South of France
- 22 Czech Republic & Germany in Eleven Days
- 23 Traveling to Ukraine with a travel guide
- 24 My France Vacation
- 25 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)