scooter rental in London

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Emily

scooter rental in London

I was wondering if anyone had any experience renting small motorscooters (50 cc) or regular bikes in London? If so, where did you rent them/how much were they? I found a place that rents regular bicycles, but scooter rental doesn't seem to be that popular?

There seem to be lots of previous posts about scooters in Italy and Greece, but none about London.

Thanks!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 12:44 PM
BUZZ

Emily:

Of course it’s none of my business, but HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO London? I’ve been riding motorcycles, scooters, mopeds, all my life, I love them, rode in a semi-professional capacity at one time (Moto-Cross) but the very concept of doing so in Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, The City on a weekday seems tantamount to suicide! I shudder just to think of it!

I’ve seen some pretty horrendous accidents between 4 wheeled (or larger) vehicles and the poor folks on two wheels. Emily, dear girl, two wheels always lose, in a big, big way.

(One particularly weird incident was seeing a Rastafarian fellow actually get his 3-foot long dreadlocks caught in the front wheel of his bicycle while riding down Southampton Row during evening rush hour. He went heels over head, landed with the bike on top of him, and was instantly hit by a double-decker bus. I heard later that he had somehow survived, but barely. His next wheeled conveyance was most likely a wheelchair!

I really don’t mean to rain on your parade, but heavens, make sure your insurance premiums are paid well in advance and, in the meanwhile, please consider another mode of transport.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Emily

A. Yep, I've been to London.

B. I drove a Vespa in downtown Rome and Padova for a year and a half. The horror! Imagine -- people living and having to COMMUTE in that traffic that gives tourists such headaches!

C. I drive in Manhattan on a semi-regular basis, downtown Washington DC on a daily basis.

D. I just thought it would be a fun thing to do one day. I was asking a simple question. Please don't talk down to me. Thank you.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Hello?

Emily,

I didn't think Buzz was talking down to you...there is a reason "scooter rental doesn't seem to be that popular." You sound half-way sophisticated enough to know it's an idiotic idea!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Emily

I appreciate your concern, but I'm fully sophisticated enough to make my own decisions. I wasn't asking for opinions, I was asking for information. Do you have any? Then why are you bothering me?

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Hello?

Oops...I thought you were bothering me! And I assure you that if you were scootering around London you'd be bothering a WHOLE LOT MORE people than just me. (Hard to tell if that's an opinion or a fact, but it's for your information all the same.)

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 02:40 PM
janis

Emily - they weren't being rude - just trying to be funny(?). BUT their point that there are few scooter rentals in London because it is a crazy idea is correct. Don't be so fast to get defensive/angry. Many in Rome ride Vespas - but you don't see them in London. You do see bike messengers - but they are totally daredevil young men. Few places would risk renting a scooter or motor bike to tourists.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Emily

They?

Thanks for the thought Janis. I think we'll still look, but you bring up a good point re: locals vs. tourists. Admittedly, they aren't like paddleboats in DC.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Thyra

Sheesh..didn't anyone ever see Quadrophenia.. the movie about Mods in the 60's riding vespas all over London??LOL..
Anyway, Emily I did a google search for Vespa hire in London, and came up with really megre pickings.. I suppose climate and liability are against you. Maybe you should start a business. Good luck in your search.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 12:33 PM
anon

Goodness! Can no one be polite these days? Emily, according to Rough Guide, bike rentals are available at the Bikepark, 14 Sukeley St., WC1 (0171/430 0083) No mention of scooters or Vespas. I am an avid Naked Chef fan. Isn't Jamie riding a Vespa around town?

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 06:01 PM
Maurice

I don't know - I've seen listings for full-size motorcycle rentals in Britain. But the above posters are right - traffic in London looks scary!

I would guess that Britain has a more Amrican-centric attitude to liability compared to Italy, so nobody wants the insurance or lawsuit headaches of renting to potentially unprepared tourists. Italians seem to have a more of the attitude that you are responsible for yourself.