Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

scooter rental in Greece (Crete, Santorini)

Jun 20th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions on how to and where to rent a scooter. I am going on vacation to Greece, going to be island hopping. I was thinking about renting a scooter there for a couple of days, any suggestions? I don't even know the differences in models so may be engine cc, and model suggestion would be nice.

Thanks
Jun 20th, 2012, 06:37 AM

We rented an ATV on Santorini. We just rented it the same day we wanted it - they have tons. Get a bigger one especially if you are going to share so you can make it up the hills!
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Lol, up the hills, ok thanks for the advice.
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Please follow my advice, do not rent a scooter unless you drive one at home, and you have experience. !!!
It is absolutely dangerous, and many accidents happen every year, some of them really heavy.
Blame the condition of the streets, the attitude of local drivers, or your own inexperience for it...
In Greece you need a driver's license to drive a scooter, it is sad that business owners don't ask for it, and allow everyone to rent a scooter.
They won't rent one to a Greek though, without a driver's license for a scooter or motorbike......

It is better to spend few Euros more on a rental car, and return safe back home.
Jun 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning, I am renting a car but wanted to get a scooter for a day just for experience. I've ridden motorcycles in the past, so scooter shouldn't be a problem for me. So may be an ATV is a better idea.
Jun 20th, 2012, 11:56 AM

I don't think ATVs are any safer, really, as they are designed for off-road rather than streets and highways. The problem is, with the hot Greek sun most people don't wear protective clothing when riding scooters and ATVs. Come off a scooter or ATV wearing a t-shirt and shorts, and you will leave your skin on the road. Even a minor accident could ruin your trip to Greece. I would much rather rent a car with A/C.