Search

Scooter instead of Car in Provence?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scooter instead of Car in Provence?

Hello,

I am travelling to Europe in October (my first trip to Europe) and have been reading through the Fodor's posts for quite some time and have found them very useful - so thank you!

I am planning to spend a week in Provence and have found a beautiful little cottage just near
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

sorry, I accidently hit post - anyway - just near Saignon - however I don't have a car to go see near by villages.

I was wanting to see Avignon, Aix-de-Provence and L'Isle sur la Sorgue. Could anyone advise whether hiring a scooter would be a viable alternative to a car - or should I give this plan a miss completely?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Have you ever ridden a scooter?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

No, I haven't ridden one as yet, however if people had suggested it would be an ok idea, I was planning to start taking lessons...
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM

Take one through downtown traffic and see if you are comfortable with that, then use it for tranportation in Europe.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! So, just to confirm - if I take lessons for the next few months and feel comfortable in traffic, do you think it would be possible to stay in Saignon and still get to see some other towns by scooter?
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:28 PM

I think this would be quite foolhardy.

First, learning to ride in heavy raffic is not easy.

Second - have you ever heard of rain? Do you have nay idea how often it rains in October? Never mind the danger/skidding factor - just the idea of being soggy a good part of the time would be enough to send me back to a car.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Doble_Vergasser

I say rent a car. You could get by with a Smart or small Fiat if need be.

There have been some real horror stories with people renting scooters (one that I remember: rental shop din't offer insurance, scooter fell over, now an 800 euro repair bill and no choice but to pay.)

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM

I was in Provence a few weeks ago. I would never consider renting a scooter to drive those roads. There were lots of bikers driving like madmen. It might be a foolish choice that would bring you a lot of problems.

If you are thinking of renting a car, I hope you can drive a manual transmission. It would not be the time to start learning. There are lots of hills around that area. You should consider an automatic if you don't feel comfortable.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

I would love to rent a car - infact I think that would solve all my problems - however as I am only on my provisional licence in Australia, I can't rent a car in Europe. I have been attempting to find ways to allow me to stay at this cottage in Saignon and still see other villages - though it is seeming less and less possible ...
Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:53 PM

Have you considered insurance? If you have a provisional license, I doubt you can rent anything. Isn't a license required to drive a scooter? Perhaps I am mistaken. I was just reading over Visa's CDW Waiver Program and it does not cover motorcycles.

How about a bicycle? How about the bus? How about a mini van tour?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:16 AM

I had a moped, is that a scooter?, when I lived in Montpellier. I did not have a driver's license, and had no experience driving in traffic. I managed just fine. However, they are really slow for inter village/town travel, so I would not recommend one for that reason. How about buses? Here's a link to another thread that might have some information: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34424767. Buses aren't that convenient, but still are doable
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:40 AM
ira

Dear B,

I strongly recommend against any motorcycle, scooter or Moped unless you are already an experienced driver and have been to Provence before.

Am I correct that in Oz one drives on the left?

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 05:44 AM
ira

PS,

Contact the apartment owner about bus service from Saignon to other towns, cities in the area.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Oz??? Where the heck is Oz in France ira? Have you been staying up late watching old movies again???!!!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:06 AM
ira

Hi Ronda,

Bronwyn lives in Oz.

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:47 AM

A teen-aged friend of ours had a nasty accident on his "moto" last fall, and he was experienced in navigating the Provençal roads. The driver of the car who hit our friend was unscathed, the car almost always winning in such cases.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Ohhhh, ira.

Different country, but my husband's Italian cousin was killed last year on a motorbike near Piza.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM

...surely there are the little local pokey trains...?? and buses to trains...and you get a bicycle in Saignon to get to the trains... and come home from shopping...
<Romantic notion here...of having your daily baguette, cheese, bottle of wine in the basket of your bike...something Leslie Caron would have done>
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help - it was greatly appreciated! I hadn't checked in awhile as I thought all the responses had stopped.
The owner of the cottage suggested I may find transportation a little difficult if I didn't have transport, however I have since looked at distances to the nearest 'larger' town, and the bus timetables form there, and have decided, with thanks to your advice and help, I will probably be better off without the scooter, and 'public' transportation should be fine. And SuzieC's idea did sound lovely!!!
Thank you again!
PS - Ira - yes, Australia is where we drive on the left - which is quite the pity being that very few other places that I would like to visit seem to do this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -