Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Schloss Pillnitz or Schloss Moritzburg outside of Dresden?

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking at options for day trips from Dresden and found a lot of data on Schloss Pillnitz - which looks like a great destination. But then I found Schloss Moritzburg, which also looks great.

Has anyone been to either or both castles? Any recommendations on which one to see if I only have time for one?
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 07:40 AM

They're both equally worth seeing, that's the problem. If time is an issue, though, Pillnitz is easier to reach.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 07:56 AM
J62

Schloss Moritzburg is a very pretty sight and setting, with surrounding park and lake. Nice for a picnic & stroll. Inside really isn't anything special though. If you're into trophy hunting you'll be impressed by the collection there, but otherwise it's not worth a detour in my opinion.

I think the area on the Elbe, south of Dresden towards the Czech border makes for a better day trip. Koenigstein & the Bastei, plus the natural beauty of the Saxony Switzerland area.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Hm, quokka beat me with the response. Darn. I wanted to say something that makes sense ...

What about that: Which time of year are you going? Opening hours are reduced in winter in Moritzburg, Pillnitz is closed. But the exterior is always worth to see.

I love to take the paddle steamer to Pillnitz. That would make the difference. Also, it depends on your interests. Pillnitz is home of a decorative arts exhibit, Moritzburg is a "hunting" palace, with Baroque interior.

Beside that, both are beautifully set. The flower garden of Pillnitz is more beautiful, and it is also an arboretum. More interesting IMO.

Bus connections from the train station Dresden-Neustadt to Moritzburg are also excellent and fast. That doesn't make a difference. The single trip fare is 3.50 Euro instead of 1.80 Euro, though.

I.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll be in Dresden at the end of August for three days between Berlin & Prague.

I'll wait until I'm there to see how the time works out - I do like the idea of a boat trip to Pillnitz, and decorative arts sound more interesting. I see on the website that on Wednesday both Pillnitz palaces are open, while only one or the other is open on Monday & Tuesday. I would have to go after my 10 am Green Vault time (yes I already have my ticket).

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 08:48 AM

In this case I'd say Pillnitz is the better choice. The steamboat trip is very enjoyable, sort of a city tour of the nicest residential areas. Castles and mansions, Blue Wonder bridge, some vineyards.

I.
Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Ingo, I think I have learned a little bit about Dresden...;-) ;-) ;-)

The fun part about Moritzburg is going up on the old steam railway from Radebeul (a stinky and rattly but really fun ride), then going for a walk along the lake, enjoying the view of the beautiful castle... All this may well consume a full day, and the train doesn't run that often, so you may lose time waiting.

Pillnitz is easier to plan, and the boat ride is just beautiful. You can do one way by boat and one way by bus if the boat timetable doesn't suit you. In this case, I suggest going to Pillnitz now and leaving Moritzburg for a later visit (you WILL come back to Dresden, that's for sure).
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

I managed to get to both Schloss Moritzburg and Schloss Pillnitz on consecutive afternoons.

I loved the exterior of Moritzburg - and the setting is fantastic. I would have liked to explore the town a little, but the bus schedule was a little tight.

Pillnitz has really beautiful gardens, not only by the palaces but further into the park. I took the bus and ferry there and the steamboat back to the city center.

I felt that both palaces were more impressive from the outside than the inside. A little more time in the gardens would have been nice, but I started too late in the day to have that luxury.