Is Rome and Amalfi safe for women?

Old Feb 21st, 2015, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Rome and Amalfi safe for women?

Hi

I am traveling to Rome and Amalfi coast( train from Rome to Naples and then staying in Positano)

I have been hearing from friends that both the places are not too safe especially since we are 3 girls travellng together.

In terms of safety, is there something particular we must look out for?
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 03:36 AM

I think the villages of the Amalfi are super-safe, and you don't need to be any more alert to danger than you would normally be anywhere you go. Your biggest worry is not to drink too much and fall down on all the stairs!

Rome is a big city, and while it is much safer than many, many, many big cities in the world, it does have people who are looking to prey on tourists and/or women. Again, staying sober is a must, not wearing flashy jewelry, booking reputable places to stay and making sure your valuables are very secure on your person when you walk around popular sightseeing areas. Never, ever accept food or drink from strangers when you travel. About the only exception I would make is the girl behind the gelateria counter who offers you a free taste of something or the fancy restaurant that comps you an extra dessert. But otherwise, no. That is an excess of caution, but worth being a bit silly about.

I think when you get to Rome you will quickly see that you already know what is wise for you to do and what isn't -- and that 99 percent of Rome is totally benign, and people are looking out for each other. It's a very public place and if you behave with normal smarts, you are as safe as you are anywhere in the world -- even a tad safer than much of it.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 04:39 AM
RJD

I was last in Roma in 2011, my 7th trip there.
Great city with a plethora of things to see and do. I quite agree with sandralist's suggestions and would add only the note to pay special attention whenever you take pubic transportation, the metro or the bus.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 04:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a few thoughts for Rome
1) in crowds (say in the Forum at view points) watch out for pickpockets
2) on the underground/tram system if crowded, watch out for wandering hands
3) if small children come up to you to show you something on a piece of card, it is a scam
4) if someone comes up to wipe mayo/bird poo etc off you it is a scam
5) if someone points to a cheap ring suddenly at your feet it is a scam

All these things happen in big cities. Enjoy Rome
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 04:50 AM

Rome is a very safe city - much safer than most cities in the US. What crime there exists is usually pickpocketing or tourist scams - not violent of any sort.'

Following the usual precautions that you do anyplace else will make you perfectly safe:

NEVER let go of your purse or luggage - anywhere
NEVER accept any drinks from anyone
Be careful of your belongings in places with lots of tourists (train stations, metros, buses)
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 06:40 AM

We have been both places and never had any trouble. Rome is just like any other major city around the world, be smart and think. We took the train from Naples and although we heard about pick pockets on this line, we had no troubles. Again, just be aware of your surroundings, as you should always be, and have fun!
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 07:20 AM

The pickpockets and scam artists do tend to hang around the train stations and tourist attractions, for obvious reasons. But I wouldn't say Rome is any worse than any other big city.

I would say the best defense is to plan and be prepared -- as much as possible, know where you're going and what you're doing. Looking confused can make you a target. But usually the worst case is someone looking to make a few euros by trying to carry your bags or give you directions. A firm, loud "no" usually works in those situations.

The AC is about as nonthreatening a place as you'll find.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 07:30 AM
WWK

Take the great advice above and you'll be fine. My daughter and three friends visited both the AC and Rome with no problems except that they all want to go back ASAP!
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 08:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
one of the students who was with us in Venice last week had her purse taken; there were lots of notices all over the place warning people to be careful, but it still happened.

Rome is one of the few places where I have felt that wearing a money belt was a good idea. The Amalfi is another kettle of fish and normal precautions should be sufficient.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 09:14 AM

The major hassle for women in Italy - especially younger and comely ones is a frequent number of whistels and catcalls from immature Italian young adult males - but that can be just ignored.

I have been to Rome umpteen times and never sensed any danger physically but there are pickpokcetes and bag snatchers and folks who work in teams to distract you - like showing you a map and asking questions whilst someone else is pilfering a bag. Be leery of anyone coming up to you, unfortunately - knowledge of the situation negates the chance of it happening. Be especially careful in crowded areas, metros and in Termini station. This problem is not just a Roman thing but any city attracting a large number of well-heeled travelers draws pickpockets and bag snatchers too.

But at least like in Barcelona or Madrid you do not have the risk of being violently mugged with is a real possibility in those places.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 09:18 AM

Only thing missing from the above advice is a MONEYBELT. Get one on amazon or in the travel aisle of Target/Walmart,etc. Wear it UNDER your clothing and don't access it in public. In it you put your passport, credit/ATM cards and cash. Keep out one credit card and enough cash for one day. Make sure your other valuables (phone, camera, etc.) are in a bag that has a secure closure (like a zipper than you could safety pin or clip closed) for when you are in crowds or the metros. Some people buy special travel safe pocketbooks/bags but as long as your regular bag can be securely closed you should be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Hidd...KQZ3MKWA9VANZ6
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 09:41 AM

The criminal street urchins know how to spot a tourist a mile away. Use Google to read up on what to look for when walking the streets in Italy. Pay particular attention to the art of pickpocketing. When visiting popular sites in Rome, you need to familiarize yourself with the children who jab you in the stomach with a cardboard sign while the other kids in the pack try to rob you.

If you do the homework, you'll be able to spot trouble before it slaps you in the face.
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,

What about the travel to Amalfi coast( stay based at Sorrento/Positano) via Naples and circumvesuviana?
Old Feb 21st, 2015, 08:25 PM

All the above holds true as you travel to Naples and beyond. Train stations are good places to be careful.

You aren't really in danger of any sort, other than theft. Watch your stuff, wear a money belt, hang on to your luggage.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 01:26 AM

Your subject line says " women" but your question says " girls."

All this is good advice but there is additional advice that I might give depending on whether you are women or girls right out of college.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 01:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tuscan is correct, Naples station can be "interesting" but if you stay together and keep smart, you'll have no problem

we use a code word "ahoy" when we see something/someone tricky coming along if one of our number is a little away with the fairies.
Old Feb 25th, 2015, 11:46 PM

You don't need to worry about being harrassed by young men. Maybe in the 1970s but things are different now. Anyone who thinks Italian guys still pinch your butt and whistle have seen Eat Pray Love too many times. It simply doesn't happen.

I am a young woman, live in Rome on and off and it's safe. Young women live there, work there, shop there and (horror!) walk around alone. Same goes for women tourists. It's an inherently safe place for women. All of the above advice goes for men too - everyone should keep their valuables safe and be aware of their surroundings.

If you need advice to 'not accept drinks from strangers' then you really shouldn't be travelling.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 12:09 AM

Hey, create a straw man and knock it down! It's fun -- but pointless, actually.

Napoli ain't Roma and a lot of young women there do get unwanted attention -- even touching. It's a much rowdier culture. I happen to like visiting Naples more than I do Rome (and not for the rowdiness!) but it is misleading to suggest it doesn't happend. It does. Your experiences are not the sum total of all women's experiences.

I recently posted a Guardian newspaper article about security for young women traveling, especially those using non-hotel host-type accommodations, and one of the interesting things the article pointed out is that women traveling in groups often have a more relaxed atttitude about their security than do solo travelers, figuring there is safety in numbers. I thought it provided a good reminder.

As for peope accepting drinks: The last time I recall reading about tourists who were badly injured accepting drinks from strangers was -- ta-dah! -- in ROME. A middle aged couple was sideswiped by a motorcycle crossing the street, knocking down the man in the couple. An Italian pedestrian rushed up to assist, guiding the man to a bar, where he brought the couple a coffee or water to drink. It was drugged, and they were robbed. Those people shouldn't have been traveling. I've never heard of such a thing happening in the states, but I don't hear everything.

Most of us don't need to believe Rome or Naples is a perfect place. Maybe you aren't mature enough to be giving travel advice.
Old Feb 26th, 2015, 12:16 AM

I misremembered the story. The tourist in Rome was killed, not just robbed, at he was in Tiburtina station. He was 74 years old, and Hungarian born. Not old enough to be traveling in Europe, obviously. Ha ha. Let's make more sarcastic jokes about helping stupid people who ask questions (which are perfectly sensible ones).

http://www.theguardian.com/world/200...rnationalcrime

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -