Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Schengen Visa and UK Residency Permit (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/schengen-visa-and-uk-residency-permit-961497/)

friedwater Jan 5th, 2013 02:18 AM

Schengen Visa and UK Residency Permit

Hello!

I have a query regarding the Schengen Visa and UK Residency clause: "The UK residence permit should be valid for at least three months after the expiry date of your Schengen visa."

I was recently issued a multiple entry Schengen Visa from the French Embassy, valid until the first week of May 2013. My UK residency permit (Tier 2) is, as of now, valid until mid June 2013.

This being the case, am I eligible to travel to the Schengen region until the validity of the Schengen Visa (May 2013)?

Thanks, Nitin

kerouac Jan 5th, 2013 02:52 AM

I would say so, or else there would be no reason to put a date of validity on it!

annhig Jan 5th, 2013 02:54 AM

it's getting into the UK that might be the problem as your UK permit does not comply with the requirements.

that won't be a problem if you don't want to come to the UK.

friedwater Jan 6th, 2013 11:48 AM

I don't think there would be an issue with reentry into the UK as this clause is only stated as a prerequisite for Schengen Visa application.

I'm a bit confused through as the Schengen visa validity conflicts with this statement.

Am I missing something?

annhig Jan 6th, 2013 11:58 AM

friedwater, it might help if you told us where you are coming from, and what your itinerary is; at the moment we are trying to assist you in a bit of an information vacuum.

sofarsogood Jan 6th, 2013 12:37 PM

OK, the way I understand it is this.

The OP's Schengen visa was issued on condition that his UK residency permit was valid for 3 months after the expiry of the Schengen visa (which is May).

However, the UK residency permit expires in mid June (only 1 1/2 months after his Schengen Visa expires in May), which begs the question why was a Schengen visa issued with the UK residency permit only valid for a few weeks and not 3 months? Clear?? I hope so…

If the above is a correct, then the answer to the question is I don't know. On the one hand he has a Schengen visa allowing entry until May, but it may be invalidated by the soon to expire UK residency permit.

Two options:

travel on the Schengen visa and see what happens;

or contact the embassy of the Schengen country you intend to visit for clarification.

But relying on information from random strangers on the internet is a fruitless exercise on matters such as this.

kerouac Jan 9th, 2013 10:27 AM

Since the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement, there are two different sets of rules to follow which have nothing to do with each other.

friedwater Jan 10th, 2013 11:20 AM

Apologies if my query was not very clear - sofarsogood's interpretation of it though is correct though.

I've also contacted a Schengan embassy a while ago but am still awaiting a response.

Also, I do not have an itenary for the visa validation duration which falls within 3 months of the UK residency permit expiry.

Kate Jan 11th, 2013 12:55 AM

>>Since the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement, there are two different sets of rules to follow which have nothing to do with each other.<<

Unless the Schengen Visas been issued on the basis of the recipient having UK residency.

friedwater Jan 19th, 2013 02:00 AM

@Kate: Yes, the Schengen Visa was issued on the basis of the UK residency.

Schengen Visa clause: For non UK passport holders, your UK Visa must be valid for at least 3 months beyond the return date from your trip.