Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Schengen Issue - Spanish Trip Cancelled Still going to Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/schengen-issue-spanish-trip-cancelled-still-going-to-paris-776957/)

skinnylizard Apr 3rd, 2009 10:01 PM

Schengen Issue - Spanish Trip Cancelled Still going to Paris

Hi,

As of yesterday i have had to cancel the Spanish leg of my holiday due to some people putting in their papers at work. So im down from a 4 week vacation to 2 weeks.

I am spending a week in London and the other in France (Paris and maybe a wine tour)

My question is, my Schengen has been issued by the Spanish Embassy, i know it wont be a problem for me to enter France but will it be an issue for later on as now i wont be going to Spain at all

i.e.when applying for other Schengen visas or even reapplying to go to Spain?

:(

alanRow Apr 3rd, 2009 10:47 PM

If the French authorities say anything (unlikely) then just say it was cheaper to fly into Paris and you are heading for Spain as part of your trip.

The rules for Schengen visas say that you get a visa for the country you are flying in to or the country you are spending most time in. So there's wiggle room for slight economies with the truth as there's no way they can check where you are spending your time in Schengen.

But it's unlikely anyone will ask anyway

lincasanova Apr 4th, 2009 01:24 AM

To put you a bit at ease, our Albanian student's mother used to get her Schengen visa through the French Embassy ( because it was in Tirana, and Spain had none there).

But she flew into Germany or Italy to eventually get to Spain, and never went to france at all. There should not be any importance in what order you visit the Schengen countries. Impossible for them to know you aren't later going by land to Spain.

Sorry to hear about the tardiness of some papers altering your vacation plans.

tod Apr 4th, 2009 05:56 AM

Skinnylizard - It's exactly like AlanRow said.
My example is: Last year we wanted to go to Paris. The only way to get a Schengen Visa for us here in KwaZulu-Natal is to apply for an appointment with the French Embassy which involves paying them R110-00 up front. When they have received the money you can then apply for an appointment. When that's confirmed, travel 800km to Johannesburg, book into an hotel, appear before the Consul General first thing in the morning, submit all the relevant documents which include:
a)Your airticket,
b)your last three months bank statements,
c)your finance for the trip which cannot be less than a specific amount,
d)your health insurance for the journey,
e)your confirmed hotel/or relatives accommodation
f)your passport & photos
g) a letter from your employer saying you have a job when you get back.
The visa is very expensive- around R1,200 each.
When everything has beeen examined thoroughly and approved, you may come back in the afternoon for collection. If you happen to stay in the immediate area you must come back after three days to collect.
As you can imagine this takes a great deal of time, money & effort. SO!! What do we do?? On that trip we happen to fly home out of Frankfurt, so booked hotels there for a longer period than in France, applied to the German Embassy which is only 70km away.
Get the visa - cancel the Frankfurt hotels. The visa does however reflect the embassy it was obtained from so if questioned in France for any reason you would have to lie and say your Germany part of the trip fell through due to unforseen circumstances. But, they couldn't care less as long as you have a visa.
I think the whole thing is a lot of hooey/hokey pokey and stuff 'n nonsense!.

Bushranger Apr 4th, 2009 05:59 AM

Look Skinny Lizard, if you are from the US or other eligible countries you do not need to get a Schengen Visa, it's a visa free entry you'll find for most of Europe.
http://www.immihelp.com/visas/scheng...xemptions.html gives you the real deal and www.projectvisa.com is a great visa site too.

Nonconformist Apr 4th, 2009 06:44 AM

I think the OP may be from India.

It may be a surprise to you, but not everyone using the Internet, or this site, is American.

Bushranger Apr 4th, 2009 07:20 AM

Fair enough, didn't check profile which says currently in Mumbai.

skinnylizard Apr 4th, 2009 07:59 AM

hi guys, well its a bit unfortunate, i was looking forward to Spain. i even have my tickets on Easyjet from Madrid - London and from Luton to alicante which are not going to be refundable.

i guess if it came down to it i could always tell them i intend to be in Paris for two days and then head to madrid, since i have a flight out of they should be satisfied...

cheers for all your help !