Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Scheduling drive times Connemarato Donegal

Mar 1st, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Folks-I am doing the driving (and scheduling) of our trip to Ireland in May. Scheduling was going great, till I hit a hitch and need advice. At present, I have one part of our driving trip scheduled like this:
May 13, Friday:
Galway shopping to Shrule to Knock to Cong to Clifden to OVERNIGHT IN LOUISBURG

May 14, Saturday:
See Kylemore Abbey today
Louisburg to Westport to Killala to OVERNIGHT IN DRUMCLIFFE (Sligo)

May 15, Sunday:
See Mass Rock at Teernault and Foxford Woolen Mills today
Drumcliffe to OVERNIGHT IN DONEGAL TOWN
But where I want to stay in Donegal Town only has availability for us on Saturday night, May 14th.
Without killing myself driving, or missing too much along the way, is there a way for us to make Donegal Town for dinner and stay there on Saturday the 14th, (skipping our overnight in Drumcliffe)--thereby compressing the trip or should I just give it up and stick to the schedule?
Any advice you have would be appreciated. The Irish Tourist Board people have gotten too automated for quick answers.
Thanks
Kitt
Mar 1st, 2005, 10:56 AM

Well, you won't have time to see much but it's a doable drive. We drove from Clifden (near Kylemore) to Killybegs (past Donegal Town) in a day, but we took the scenic route from Leenane to Louisburgh to go through Doo Lough pass, which took considerable extra time, but well worth it. We had already seen Kylemore a different day. We left Clifden perhaps around 9:30 and got to Killybegs around 5 p.m. You'd cut out time going directly from Leenane to Westport, but would miss the great famine walk (DooLough pass). We did stop for lunch in Sligo. If you left early enough and didn't care if you got to Donegal Town after dark, you'll make it!!
Mar 1st, 2005, 10:57 AM

p.s. Our trip was in early March--you'll have lots more daylight in May.
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:39 PM

Hi Kitt:

It might help to know the rest of the schedule. You can certainly make it from Louisburgh to Donegal Town in one day though you will miss more in between. Is there something special in Killala? It sounds like an interesting town and since we will be ther a few days behind you in May, we might check it out. It appears that it will take you a bit out of the way from Louisburgh to Donegal.

Also, is there a reason you must stay in the particular place in Donegal town? I certainly understand if there is. If not, I can give you the name of a couple nice places up the road in Killybegs. Credo House and Ocean View are both quite nice.

I hope some of this helps. It looks like you will be just ahead of us as you head north. Have fun!

Bill
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Dear Bill-
I picked Killala for the bay, but that is not the important part. Why a certain place in Donegal is that it is a place I visited 25 years ago called St. Ernan's--very expensive and abolutely lovely--jus toutside Donegal Town. Well worth the money if you've got it...(and great food but only for guests) The house belonged to an Irish landlord who kept all his tentants during the Famine by having them build the causeway now used to reach the house...stone by stone.
Mar 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM
cod

If you can get to Drumcliffe, you can get to Donegal Town -it's only about an hour or less of a drive. And it's well worth it to stay in St. Ernan's.