Schedules/Times in Switzerland

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Kamal D

Schedules/Times in Switzerland

We will have 2 whole days in Zurich. We are planning to go to Lucerne, Lausanne & Geneva (suggested by everyone as the most scenic places and fitting within the schedule of 2 days. Pl. let me know if there are any other ideas). <BR> <BR>We would there on Sat/Sun in Nov. Would getting trains or shopping be a problem on these days. I believe lots of places are closed and the trains are not as frequent. Pl. suggest. Thanks

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Ursula

Kamal: Shops in Zurich close down at 4 p.m. on Saturdays. <BR>In the oher places 4 p.m. as well or 5 p.m. latest. Sunday in Zurich, you can shop at the main station. Quite large shopping area. All kind of shops. <BR>Trains on weekends are frequent as well. Get yourself a small timetable at the main station (or your hotel) which only shows trains between larger towns. It's very convenient. Called "Städtefahrplan". <BR>In my opinion, Geneva is too far. 3 h (one way) to do in a single day. I sometimes have to do it for business, but is quite long. Rather go to Lucerne (50 min.) or Berne (1h 10 min.). <BR>Kamal, for more suggestions and info, check out: <BR>www.myswitzerland.com <BR> <BR>Sorry, I am at work and quite busy...

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Florence

Kamal, I'm with Ursula re. Geneva: too far in such a short time and foggy/rainy in November, you run the risk of having nothing to see at all ! <BR> <BR>You should favor central Switz., Berne, Lucerne or even Basel (fantastic old town without cars, great shopping, although closing early on Saturday).

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Ursula

Florence bonsoir! Glad to hear that you like my home town. <BR>Kamal: In Basel, I suggest the famous Fondation Beyeler in Riehen <BR>www.beyeler.com <BR> <BR>and the Tinguely Museum (fun for your children as well) <BR>www.tinguely.ch <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Myer

I agree. I would spend one day in Lucerne-Mt Pilatus. The other in Interlaken, Lauterbrunen, Murren, Schilthorn. <BR>The lake and the mountains. <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Ed

First, for schedules see www.rail.ch You'll find that for the most part weekend services are as full as weekday services for your purposes. (Less commuter runs, but you'll not be commuting.) <BR> <BR>I agree strongly with Luzern for one day. <BR> <BR>Geneva too far for a day trip ... you'll spend six hours on the train. Ditto for the Interlaken/Jungfrau Region suggestion. And ... in November the mountain weather is absolutely undependable. It's my favorite part of Europe but I'd not recommend it for a one day visit from Zürich in November. <BR> <BR>The second day? Why not Zürich and environs. Lots to do there and about. See www.twenj.com/swisszrhoneday.htm <BR> <BR>Bern an alternate, Basel also good of course.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 11:42 AM
Maureen

I agree with everyone else that Geneva is way too far to visit in your time schedule. My opinion would be to spend time in Berne (such a beautiful and charming little town that can be explored by foot in 1/2 day). If you like shopping than Zurich is your place. If you like mountains, lakes and beautiful scenery than spend more time in Lucerne. Lausanne is nice, but again easily explored in 1/2 day. Enjoy your trip.