Scenic Stop twixt Skye and Sterling?

Mar 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Scenic Stop twixt Skye and Sterling?

Hope you alliterates enjoyed the title.

I have a one night stay yet to be determined for my June trip to Scotland and am looking for a lovely town/village to spend the night in.

We will leave Skye in the morning, take the ferry to Mallaig, drive the "road to the isles" and visit Glen Coe area. We have no special plans for the day, just tootling along looking for pretty scenery.

The next day we will get up and go, heading to Stirling where we will spend the afternoon at the castle and night in Stirling or environs before heading to Edinburgh.

A town on a loch may be most appealing. Any suggestions? I can see likely places on the map but cannot tell if they will be cute places.
Mar 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM

"Hope you alliterates enjoyed the title." Your title is fine (it might be a bit better w/ the town spelled correctly

My choices would be staying in Glencoe itself, or in Killin (the Falls of Dochart are amazing).
Mar 26th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Drat - you are right! I had it spelled correctly in the text, any points for that?

Thanks for the suggestions.
Mar 27th, 2009, 04:00 AM

Ballachulish Hotel in Ballachulish, near the mouth of Glen Coe where Loch Leven joins Loch Linnhe.

Village of Ballachulish is dreadful but the hotel is nice [well, was the last time I was there] and is beautifully located. It also used to have good food, though recent reviews are mixed. Rooms vary wildly in character and size. I would communicate carefully with management on this.

Views from lounge are incredible, provided that it is not raining so hard that you can't see beyond the parking lot

Read Stevenson's "Kidnapped" before you go. This is one of the settings.
Mar 28th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Killin is what springs to mind, although I can't think of a really top hotel/inn. I also love the Pier House at Port Appin. It would require a small amount of backtracking.

The Ardeonaig on Loch Tay is pretty fab too, although there's no village.

Inverary is another possibility- the George is a nice hotel.
Mar 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.

Killin looked like a great choice, and perfectly located, but I couldn't find accommodation that really appealed to me.

I researched all the suggestions and Inveraray came out the winner. We are going to have dinner at the George (the bar and resto look all cute and casual), but we have reservations at Rudha-na-Craige for the night. It looks like a nice place with a loch view.

BTW, the Ardeonaig looked wonderful, what a lovely place. I should like to stay there a few nights someday!
Mar 29th, 2009, 01:42 PM

The Ardeonaig is wonderful. Two of the best meals I've had in the U.K.I had here. The wine (all South African) is superb, even the house wine. The location is beautiful (on Loch Tay) and Peter has one of the best trained staff I've encountered anywhere. I hope you get a chance to stay there sometime.
Mar 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM

What I said about Killin.

BTW, Kidnapped involves Inverary too. YOu should read it. Have a lovely time