Scavi Tour Security?

Jun 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Scavi Tour Security?

There seems to be two lines at the Vatican: a possibly long line for security and a possibly long line for tickets to the Vatican Museums.

I have secured a 8:00 am tour of the Vatican Museums so think I'm okay with lines for that. We will then likely leave, lunch, then return later that Wednesday afternoon for a Scavi Tour. My plan is to leave the Scavi tour and then tour St. Peters directly after.

Will we have to go through the security line to do the Scavi Tour? If so, how early should we arrive? It's a 3 pm Scavi Tour. I just want to ensure we show up with plenty of time for security if that is necessary, but it seems from what I am reading that these tours do not require you to go through the security line. Am I correct?
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:21 PM

The scavi tour is limited of course. When you stand facing the door of St. Peters you walk through the columns on your left.As you exit columns you will see a Swiss Guard, fence and gate to your right that is where you enter for the Scavi Tour (at least that is where it was last fall). There is an office there and they check you in and you go from there. There was no security line just the guard at the gate checking your conformation. There was no other security as the groups are very small. You end the tour under St. Peters where the popes tombs are and as you exit you are the base of the steps that lead up to porch of St. Peters. There is an afternoon mass and its a great time to go in because in the later afternoon it is much less crowded.
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:26 PM

While you will not have to go through a security line, in order to get to "Ufficio Scavi" (the Scavi Office), you will have to enter a secured area, manned by the Swiss Guard. Have your paper confirmation of your Scavi reservation out and ready for them to see, and when you go up to the area, say "Scavi". The guard will look at your paper reservation, and direct you over to the Scavi Office where you will "check-in" and may leave your belongings (bags, back-packs, or anything else) in a safe area before starting the tour.

Enjoy it! (I did.)

BC
Jun 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM

When I toured (9/2008), Vatican employees were guarding the secured area. After you were allowed past them, you encountered the Swiss Guards. You must show your reservation papers to both and you aren't allowed back more than 15 minutes in advance so don't even try to go earlier. I would double check on the bag storage as I was informed it was on the opposite side of St. Peter's, not in the Scavi office (I didn't need to check anything so perhaps my info is wrong).

Search this Thread