Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scavi Tour Question-- just reveived a reservation confirmationemail (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scavi-tour-question-just-reveived-a-reservation-confirmationemail-792961/)

lbrawer Jun 30th, 2009 04:09 AM

Scavi Tour Question-- just reveived a reservation confirmationemail

Based on advice here,I requested a Scavi tour some weeks back and just happily received an email with literally a header and nothing else--stating "122673 Visita Scavi Programmata in data 22 agosoto- 3 pm 5 visitatori."

Clearly- Ive been given a slot (yay) with a reservation number but there was nothing but a header in this email. Was this an email glitch or can someone help with the "next steps" portion of how to activate this? In either case I'm thrilled. Just not sure where to show up and now I'm wondering if I should schedule my planned Context Rome Vatican tour for the same day (perhaps the morning) in order to maximize the day?
Any thoughts??
Thanks!

Fra_Diavolo Jun 30th, 2009 04:26 AM

When I applied a couple of years back I received an email asking for payment by a certain date. Once I'd paid (by credit card) I received another, confirming the date of the visit. I think you should contact the office to make sure you keep your reservation.

adrienne Jun 30th, 2009 04:27 AM

If you can schedule a private Vatican Museums tour for 9:00 then that would leave enough time for the museums tour and to have some lunch and then do the Scavi tour. If you decide to do this then you need to email Context immediately so they can ensure they have someone available for the tour. They need 3 to 5 weeks notice for a private Vatican tour and August is a big vacation month in Italy.

You also might ask them about restaurants/cafes around St. Peter's square so you could get a quick lunch before your Scavi tour.

I haven't done the Scavi tour but there are lots of threads here with tips for the tour such as you must check everything first, where you check your things, where the tour starts and be sure to allow enough time (I believe at least 1/2 hour before the tour starts) to check your belongings and get to the tour site.

kybourbon Jun 30th, 2009 04:27 AM

You go to the Scavi office, but you won't be allowed back more than 10-15 minutes in advance and you won't be allowed to take any big bags/backpacks.

Marija Jun 30th, 2009 04:32 AM

I found my e-mail from last summer from Scavi. The heading was similar to yours but the body of the e-mail included a notice of receipt of payment as well as information about the language of the tour and where to meet. Looks like they didn't send you the text. I would ask just to make sure.

Ian Jun 30th, 2009 04:36 AM

The email we received had an attached html receipt which I printed & took to the Scavi office. It came 2 days after my 1st confirmation from them. 122673 is your reference number which should be enough but you will probably receive a receipt with a receipt #.

You head to the left part of the St Peter's colonnade & through there there is a gated parking lot with Swiss Guards. They will only admit you when it is your time. Then the office is up on the right in the archway. Look for the glass doors.

We did a tour later but didn't leave enough time, so we really had to hustle to get to the museum entrance - which is a good 15 minute walk around the Vatican walls. Not fun.

Ian

kak113 Jun 30th, 2009 05:06 AM

we did a vatican tour the morning before the scavi tour and I agree with Ian, it was a long walk and we almost missed the tour, so I probably wouldn't do that again. I hope you enjoy it, the Scavi tour was one of the highlights of our trip.

lbrawer Jun 30th, 2009 07:24 AM

Yeah- thats the weird thing=--there was nothing about payment. I did receive a follow up in response to my questioning them about the blank email but this one said (as one poster mentioned)- we ackknowledge your receipt of the reservation and if you have sent the confirmation along with the payment ,your order will be processed in the next few hours..... The only thig missing was a link to a method to pay them for the reservation. I have written again to the email address noted, asking them for the link so that I can in fact pay. Thanks for all the help-- I know I have to hustle with Context. I've been remiss.

Zerlina Jun 30th, 2009 08:11 AM

There's no link to pay for the Scavi tour. You have to send them your credit card number, either by email or fax.

fitznj Jun 30th, 2009 08:39 AM

I did receive the confirmation e-mail and the payment request. I sent off my credit card number, got nothing back, and when I showed up for the tour (so fun to have an excuse to talk to the Swiss Guard), I ended up paying in the office. I would go to St. Peter's after that but maybe on your own, just to wander. It's such a magical tour (the Scavi). You will love it.

lbrawer Jul 2nd, 2009 10:03 AM

Thanks everyone-- I'm so psyched! Now-- just need a good place to eat lunch as we're doing a 9:30 vatican tour (2 hour) so wont be too overloaded. Would love to do St Peters after Scavi

kybourbon Jul 2nd, 2009 02:20 PM

You can eat in the Vatican Museums cafeteria. It's not bad. Just ask your tour guide where the cafeteria is. There's also a place to get pizza.