Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scavi Tour - How long did you wait before you received an answer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scavi-tour-how-long-did-you-wait-before-you-received-an-answer-798396/)

joannyc Jul 30th, 2009 10:24 AM

Scavi Tour - How long did you wait before you received an answer?

Out of curiosity... how long after contacting the Scavi Office did you wait before hearing from them?

bouradly Jul 30th, 2009 10:33 AM

Mine was about 4-5 days.

hobbitthefoodlover Jul 30th, 2009 10:41 AM

Give it at most 2 weeks. Don't think about it anymore. It will drive you crazy. Mine came when I least expected it. The people working on it are super nice and efficient. They will process your order in a timely manner (as long as your request is reasonable).

julia_t Jul 30th, 2009 10:58 AM

I waited for about 6 weeks, heard nothing, so tried again, waited for 4 weeks, heard nothing, then left for Rome.

I even took my email requests to the Scavi office when in Rome to see if they had any vacancies/cancellations but the Swiss Guard turned me away!

I had followed all the protocol as suggested here, given all the required information, was polite and respectful, but had no luck. Oh well, it's another excuse to return to Rome!

Good luck with your application.

purduegrad Jul 30th, 2009 11:28 AM

I had heard that some people book months in advance, so I sent in a request in early June (we're visiting Rome in late September).

I soon received a canned response telling me that all June tours were filled, thanking me for my interest, and telling me not to respond to that email. I heard nothing more for a long time (ca. six weeks) so I assumed that there were just no openings. Then out of the blue I got an email around the middle of July confirming my late September date.

Just a day or two before I got my confirmation, someone on SlowTrav posted that they had just received an email confirming for late September. Then when mine came, I inferred that they don't fill slots as the requests come in, but rather they hold requests for certain time periods (like, second half of September or something) and then fill up tours in an orderly fashion (or, as orderly as it can be) for sets of dates. Since you have 10 days to pay/reserve, they'd have to go back and fill slots that went unclaimed, so it wouldn't be entirely slick, but I think that's how it works.

Good luck!

joannyc Jul 31st, 2009 01:49 PM

Thanks very much for your replies!

I sent my request on July 14 for mid-October. Hopefully, they won't 'forget' me! :-)

cruiseluv Jul 31st, 2009 02:54 PM

The day after I sent it I received confirmation of receipt of my request. I received the e-mail with confirmation of date and time 2 months later

daydreamer16 Jul 31st, 2009 03:15 PM

I sent my request the second week of July for the first week of September and I heard in 2 days. I feel very luckey.

kybourbon Jul 31st, 2009 08:39 PM

Even if you don't hear from them, it doesn't mean there aren't any spots left on the tour. I e-mailed last year and got the canned response. Never did hear about the tour so e-mailed again, canned response again. I went to the Vatican, talked my way past the Vatican employees, then the Swiss Guards to get to the Scavi office. I'm not sure I would have been able to talk them into it if I hadn't been traveling alone and only need one spot. I got a place for the next day. The tour was only half full (about 6 people) and four of us had just reserved the day before. The other people had called the Scavi office while in Rome to get their tickets.

joannyc Aug 3rd, 2009 12:33 PM

kybourbon,

How did you talk your way past the Vatican employees and Swiss Guards, please? I thought that was impossible!!!

Thanks!

joannyc Aug 5th, 2009 06:37 AM

ttt

kfusto Aug 5th, 2009 06:39 AM

The first time several months (10/2007) and the second about 10 days (10/2008)

bitten_by_the_bug Aug 6th, 2009 07:44 AM

7/31 I sent in my request - 9 hours later I got an email back from them......of course, it was the automated reply saying they got my request.

Then on 8/4 I got the reservation for early Sept.

joannyc Aug 11th, 2009 06:23 AM

Woohoo!!! Just received my Scavi reservation today... very excited!!!

purduegrad Aug 13th, 2009 05:07 PM

Isn't it fun to get an email from the Vatican in your inbox? I forwarded the message to one of my sisters-in-law and she said, "Wow! And I thought our trip to Mt. Rushmore was exciting!" ;-)

annhig Sep 22nd, 2009 02:51 PM

hi joannyc - I hope you don't mind my piggy-backing on your thread!

we'er going to Rome [I hope] in February and I'd like to book the Scavi tour as we didn't do it last time. I've had a look at the Vatican website but didn't find it mentioned. what did you do? and how far in advance should I do it?

thanks, ann

kybourbon Sep 22nd, 2009 03:26 PM

VISITS TO THE VATICAN NECROPOLIS:
Enquiries: Excavations Office, by e-Mail ([email protected]) or by fax +39 06 69873017

kybourbon Sep 22nd, 2009 03:28 PM

A little pre-tour.
http://www.vatican.va/various/basili...i_english.html

bxl4373 Sep 22nd, 2009 04:02 PM

ttt

joannyc Sep 23rd, 2009 06:02 AM

Hi Ann,

Email your request to [email protected]

Be sure to include the following information:
Number of Visitors:
Full Name of Visitors:
Language Desired:
Dates Available:
Contact Information: My email address is

I requested my tickets on July 14 for mid-October. I received the confirming email on August 11.

Submit your request as early as possible as they only allow a limited number of people in each day and you want to be included on an English-speaking tour.