Scavi Tour ?claustrophobic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are interested in taking the Scavi tour when we are in Rome in May. I read on the Vatican web site that it can be claustrophobic. Has anyone had any problems?
Could you explain the setting ?
Thanks
BXL
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 03:56 PM

You can rest assure that is not Claustrophobic at all.Is very interesting..
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM

While I'm not claustrophobic, being an old submariner, there was a lady on our tour that totally freaked out about 10 minutes into the tour. The tour was great.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
My wife is mildly claustrophobic but she had no problems at all on the Scavi tour.

See my trip report for some photos:

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/roma.htm

Ian
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM

I am sometimes claustrophic (I don't like caves normally), but I thought the Scavi Tour was fascinating. There are parts of it that are a little tight, but for me, the information was so interesting that I never felt claustrophic. It's a wonderful tour.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A woman on our tour was uncomfortable in a few places. The tour passes through a series of chambers/rooms, and some of the doorways are low. As long as the claustrophobic woman could see (or was told) that the space opened up beyond the doorway, she was OK. When we were there, the air was warm, a bit humid and a little stale, and I think that all added to her discomfort.
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:03 PM

You are so lucky to have been able to take pictures!!!

They specifically told us that we cannot do so and told us to buy the book (12-15 euro), which I did so.

I took the tour sometime this June 2009 as well
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. I will certainly give it a try! Ian I loved your photos.
BXL
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Well, technically he shouldn't have let us take pictures but we were only a group of 4 + guide, so as long as we didn't flash . . .

Ian
Old Jul 16th, 2009, 05:17 PM

I'd consider myself mildly/somewhat claustrophobic but the Scavi Tour didn't bother me.

I don't recall the ceilings being particularly low (I'm 5'9"). There are a few tight spaces but it only takes a second to pass through them.

Someone who's really claustrophobic might not like it though- the rooms are small and the corridors are a bit narrow, and of course there's the fact that you're underground. The air is humid and a bit stuffy.

I remember I did deliberately NOT think about the fact we were underground during the tour, but it was easy enough to do. Like the others have said, the tour is so fascinating it helps distract you from thinking claustrophobic thoughts.

If it helps for comparison purposes, I never have trouble being on a crowded subway car at rush hour- but I do start getting claustrophobic and borderline panicky if we stop in the tunnel and sit there for more than a couple of minutes. Something else I don't like are narrow winding staircases in old churches that you take to get to the roof- I especially hate it when there's traffic going both ways, up and down. I found the staircase at Chartres cathedral, for example, to be a bit of a nightmare.

However, I was perfectly fine during the Scavi Tour and was very happy I took it.