Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scavi Tour & Vatican Tour Conflict (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scavi-tour-and-vatican-tour-conflict-553932/)

rjs Aug 24th, 2005 03:49 AM

Scavi Tour & Vatican Tour Conflict

I just received my confirmation for the Scavi Tour under St. Peter's Basilica (I emailed a request in March 2005!). However, since it had been so long since I heard from them, I went ahead and booked the Vatican/Sistene Chapel tour about a week ago.

Here's my conflict: My Vatican Tour is for Sept 20 at 12:35 pm. The Scavi TOur booked me is for Sept 20 (same day) at 10:30 am. The Scavi Tour is said to last 1-1/2 hours, which would end at 12:00 pm.

Has anyone been on both tours? Do they run pretty much close to the timeframe that's listed? I don't know if I should reschedule my 12:35 pm Vatican Tour for another day/time, or if I'll have enough time to do both, one right after the other.

Please help!! I've waited 5 months to get a reservation for the Scavi Tour and don't want to miss it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

mnapoli Aug 24th, 2005 04:33 AM

My daughter and I went on both tours in June, and yes, the Scavi tour runs pretty close to schedule (1-1/2 hours). You should not miss the Scavi tour - it was the highlight of our trip!

Athena Aug 24th, 2005 08:17 AM

I have taken the Scavi tour twice over the last few years. Each time it started promptly and ended within an hour and a half. The tours are very tightly scheduled and the area underground very cramped so the guides must keep the tours moving.

jimcolorado Aug 24th, 2005 08:24 AM

We concluded our Scavi tour at precisely 90 minutes after it began. I noticed that the guide took great pains to keep the tour on schedule, even going so far as to cut off questions from visitors when they got too long winded. Just remember that you will conclude the tour in the Grotto beneath St. Peter's and you will still be some distance from there to the Vatican Museum entrance. I can't picture a "shortcut" from the front of St. Peter's to the Museum, but some of the frequent posters here might know. I think you will have to head across St. Peter's Square to the Via DiPorta Angelica and follow it around to the Via Leone to the Viale Vaticano. Might be quicker to catch a taxi where they all congregate at the east end of the Square. Don't forget time to get check bags at the check-in.

jill_h Aug 24th, 2005 08:29 AM

rjs - I have a solution! I'll use your Scavi Tour tickets and you won't have to worry with missing the Vatican tour. We'll meet you outside the Scavi tour office ~10:00 a.m. to pick up the tickets. Thanks so much!! (I've been waiting since mid-june and still haven't heard - UGH!)

rjs Aug 24th, 2005 09:51 AM

Author: jill_h
Date: 08/24/2005, 12:29 pm
rjs - I have a solution! I'll use your Scavi Tour tickets and you won't have to worry with missing the Vatican tour. We'll meet you outside the Scavi tour office ~10:00 a.m. to pick up the tickets. Thanks so much!! (I've been waiting since mid-june and still haven't heard - UGH!)

Funny jill_h! :>) But, so sorry, no deal. I originally emailed for reservations in March, then again in June (even though their email says not to send again). Thought I'd just give up about a week ago and figure I didn't get a reservation...until today!! Just hang in there. I don't think the Scavi Tour is sending out reservations until about a month before the date you request.

tcreath Aug 24th, 2005 10:13 AM

As others have mentioned, our tour took almost exactly 90 minutes as well. I don't think you should have any problems doing both. Definitely don't miss the Scavi tour! It was one of the highlights of our trip.

Tracy

rjs Aug 26th, 2005 10:20 AM

Being that my husband and I aren't that young anymore, we figured we would change our Vatican Tour to another day so that we'd have enough energy to truly enjoy both tours. Sometimes getting old isn't much fun....

Underhill Aug 26th, 2005 12:01 PM

You don't really need to take a tour to explore the Vatican unless you particularly want to see the gardens--St. Peter's and the museum/Sistine Chapel don't really need a guide.

Dorgal Aug 26th, 2005 02:39 PM

As far as the tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine chapel........I owuld go it alone. We hireda tour guide from the museum for osmething like $120 and though he was very knowledgeable - - I felt very rushed and had no time to wander at my own pace. When I go back I am definitely going without a guide. I think there is a good audio tour that you can do and it is alot cheaper.

Sprig Aug 26th, 2005 05:20 PM

Gosh...we were going to volunteer to take those Scavi Tour tickets off of your hands as well..obviously not an original idea. It is the one that I would pick. We have the other booked as well but will drop it like a hot potato for the Scavi...

Sprig Oct 4th, 2005 05:21 PM

Well we are back and no Scavi tour for us. I did receive a nice email from the them telling me that they were sorry that all the spots were full and unless there was a cancellation we would not be able to take the tour. I thought this was nice because everything I heard indicated you only got an answer if you could go. I guess we have to save something for next time.