Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scare hotel availability in Dublin in May :-( (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scare-hotel-availability-in-dublin-in-may-314814/)

Swan51 May 8th, 2003 07:24 AM

Scare hotel availability in Dublin in May :-(

I have a guest house booked in Dun Laoghaire for May 21/26, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too far out from the City Center, since I won't have a car. I've done a search on three-star hotels in central Dublin and almost all of them are booked for at least one or two of my days. Is there some big event going on during those days, or is it just high tourist season?

GreenDragon May 8th, 2003 08:58 AM

Yes, it is tourist season, but just at the beginning. However, Dun Laoghaire is quite far from city centre if you don't have a car! Make sure to check your transport options, i.e., is it near a bus stop or train station...

derrinraw May 8th, 2003 09:40 AM

Dun Laoghaire is a pleasent coastal town with excellent links to Dublin. There is the "Dart" train that runs into the heart of Dublin from the port. Journey tine approx 30 min. I would not bother wih an hotel in the centre as they are expensive. Have a grat time.

Ann41 May 8th, 2003 10:30 AM

May 26 is a bank holiday in the UK, but not sure if it is in the Republic.

I once tried to book a hotel in Dublin in late October, and couldn't get a room. I called 48 different places (seriously), including all of the most expensive hotels in town.

Ended up in a youth hostel. Shudder. A very nasty youth hostel.

So my suggestion would be to stay with your current reservations.

Keenan May 8th, 2003 12:48 PM

Dun Laoghaire is an excellent base for staying and visiting Dublin, especially for the money. You can even get yourself primed in some of their nice pubs before the train ride to Dublin. I stayed at the Portview Hotel which is 5min walk to the DART, perfect. Plus, you can wander down to see the martello tower where Joyce stayed,briefly, that is now a museum. Enjoy your trip, as you'll enjoy the slowdown after a day in Dublin.

GreenDragon May 11th, 2003 10:50 AM

And don't miss watching the sunset on the Irish Sea at the shore... a truly peaceful and beautiful experience I had on my last night in Ireland, at Dun Laoghaire...

I believe there is a small fort there as well, suitable for visits :D

Owen_ONeill May 11th, 2003 12:54 PM

A month or so ago I was searching for a Dublin hotel room for Sat 30 May - there's a Bruce Springsteen show that weekend and most everything has long since been sold out - maybe he's playing several nights that week and that may account for it.

onthego May 12th, 2003 06:38 AM

Dun Laoghaire is a charming resort town, but we were surprised how long it took us to drive from Dublin. We would definitely consider staying there, but would take the train in. The traffic was pretty bad, but Dun Laoghaire is such a nice town we'd definitely consider staying there instead of Dublin.