Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SCANDINAVIA IN 12 DAYS, PLS. HELP (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scandinavia-in-12-days-pls-help-977241/)

lab2trabel May 8th, 2013 12:03 PM

SCANDINAVIA IN 12 DAYS, PLS. HELP

I am going with my nephew (me 45, he 27) to Scandinavia for 12 days, June 10-22..

June 10-13 Stockholm is fixed..flight from Copenhagen June 22, also fixed..Plan to be in Copenhagen on the 19th until 22..

We are planning to fly from Stockholm to Bergen on June 13...How many days / should we stay in Bergen? Can we do Norway in Nutshell from there? or the Norwegian Fjord? I wanted to take train from Bergen to Oslo..then an overnight Ferry Oslo-Copenhagen..

I we stay June 13-15 in Bergen then take a train from Bergen on the 15th, (or perhaps stay 1 more night in Bergen? total of 3 nights?)..
Then we will have at least 2 nights available which i don't want to spend in Oslo as it's very expensive there and not worth to stay 2 nights..

Would anyone pls kindly help me with some informations, advice and ideas? Or any suggestions how a would plan our 12 days?

Many thanks..

PalenQ May 8th, 2013 12:28 PM

We are planning to fly from Stockholm to Bergen on June 13...How many days / should we stay in Bergen? Can we do Norway in Nutshell from there? or the Norwegian Fjord>

yes indeedy - a great base for the Nutshell thing which to me after decades of traveling all over Europe still ranks near the very top of totally awesome things I've done - nothing like it!

Go down to the Bergen train station and book a Norway in a Nutshell ticket, which lets you ride the train to Voss (check out Knute Rockne's grave not far from the station perhaps) and hop the bus for a thrilling ride down to Norway's largest fjord, stopping briefly at the famous Stalheim Hotel and once at the water board a boat that takes you to Flam - perhaps seeing whales en route but certainly awesome cliffs that plunge right down to the water - at Flam take the scenic Flam railway - which features s stop at a waterfall for viewing - to Myrdhal and either take a train back to Bergen or onto Oslo - but the latter would mean carrying your bags with you.

From Bergen there are overnight trains to Oslo but IMO it is better to do the day trip as this is one of Europe's most very scenic railways when it crests over a mountain range midway.

For lots of great info on Norway trains and the Nutsell thingy check out these fantastic IMO sources - www.ricksteves.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.seat61.com.

Just buy your Nutshell tickets once in Bergen - these are not a group trip thing but individual tickets you can use on all the components of this awesome extravaganza.

hetismij2 May 8th, 2013 12:35 PM

Everywhere in Norway is really expensive, Bergen is as expensive at Oslo in my experience, and Oslo has a lot to offer if you can be bothered to look. I liked it better than Bergen tbh, and should I be lucky enough to go again I'll certainly spend more time in Oslo, with Bergen only being on the list if I am getting the Hurtigruten again.
Get a Bergen card, or if you go to Oslo an Oslo card. Oslo card offers money off at some eateries too which really helps!

lab2trabel May 8th, 2013 12:57 PM

thanks guys for the ideas..it gives me a lot of valuable informations..

i am living in Switzerland which is as expensive as Norway if not more.. yet, it somehow i become unsure of Oslo, Norway in general as everybody is telling me: don't go to Oslo, don't go to Norway, leave Nprway behind, it's too expensive etc. etc...but i am dying to see Bergen..

Michael May 8th, 2013 04:27 PM

We found it more efficient, using the same mount of time, to do the NIN from Oslo to Bergen. We were in Oslo, planned to start our driving part of Norway in Bergen, and instead of using the direct train, took the NIN detour.

michele_d May 8th, 2013 05:01 PM

I would recommend doing the NIN from Bergen as the trip to the fjords is closer to Bergen than Oslo. You will do the boat trip through the fjords earlier in the day and then settle in for the long train ride from Flam to Oslo. We loved Bergen, two days is more than enough here.

We took several overnight ferries during our time in Scandinavia and enjoyed them also. Scandinavia is expensive but no more than Switzerland, so you will not have the shock that we did. It is some beautiful country up there. Have a great time!

PalenQ May 9th, 2013 06:04 AM

Bergen, a ancient Hanseatic port town is one of the few towns I've seen in Scandinavia that exudes old-world romance - most I've seen are thoroughly modern but Bergen has its own feel and character - that said like Michele says one day is enough for Bergen itself - more than enough for some - it is a fairly small town in its historic center and port areas.

PalenQ May 9th, 2013 11:22 AM

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/en/exp...in-a-nutshell/

the official site of the Norway in a Nutshell extravaganza!

lab2trabel May 10th, 2013 02:43 AM

if we do NN from Bergen to Oslo, is Flåm worth it for an overnight stay, or do the NN all the way to Oslo, carrying our luggage along with us?

i checked the link you provided PalenQ and i think i will go for a one-way tour instead of round trip..

or considering our luggage would a rount trip NN, Bergen is more advisable??..

lab2trabel May 10th, 2013 02:51 AM

hhmm after giving it a lot of thoughts, i would do NN Bergen round trip, a i will not enjoy NN for sure while carrying our luggage, and will take the day time train from Bergen to Oslo..

now my question is: is Flam worth an overnight stay?

PalenQ May 10th, 2013 04:38 AM

No - not much there at all - in Flam that is though it is in an obviously a spectacular setting.

michele_d May 10th, 2013 12:13 PM

If you are doing the NIN round-trip from Bergen, and since you don't want to spend time in Oslo, you can fly from Bergen to Copenhagen like we did. We had a late afternoon flight if that works for you.

PalenQ May 13th, 2013 11:47 AM

now my question is: is Flam worth an overnight stay?>

no but it may make a rather unique placed to stay - after all the tour buses and NIN groups and passengers have departed this turns into a backwater - a lovely backwater on a lovely fjord - can just imagine it havcing gorgeous sunsets, etc.

But if I recall correctly there ain't much there except some hotels and stores and a few houses.

lab2trabel Jun 15th, 2013 06:10 AM

hi guys...sorry it has taken so long to reply..

thanks so much for your advices and insights..helped a lot..

just arrived in Oslo from Flam..stayed there overnight after our Sognerfjord tour..Bergen is a you say, beautiful and indeed, 1 days is enough..

you gave me good ideas..

we are spending 2 nights from today in Oslo..

lab2trabel Jun 15th, 2013 06:15 AM

initially, i inetended to skip Oslo, but after reroutings, re-arrangemet, we end up spending 2 nights here..

PalenQ Jun 15th, 2013 08:11 AM

What about the prices in Norway - as bad as they were several years ago when I was there?

lab2trabel Jun 15th, 2013 10:46 AM

Oslo is still very expensive...in my opinion, you don't get the quality and service you pay for your money.. though Switzerland is as expensive if not more at times, there you get the value of your money compared to here...

lab2trabel Jun 15th, 2013 10:51 AM

would you recommend an overnight ferry to Copenhagen?

PalenQ Jun 15th, 2013 02:58 PM

would you recommend an overnight ferry to Copenhagen?>

Why not? Save a cost of a night in a hotel and have perhaps a unique experience.

michele_d Jun 15th, 2013 03:52 PM

We have taken several overnight ferries throughout Scandinavia and have really enjoyed them. It is a unique experience as PalenQ says.