Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Scandavian countries less crime-prone than others, or no?

Scandavian countries less crime-prone than others, or no?

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Soon in Denmark

Scandavian countries less crime-prone than others, or no?

We have traveled in Spain, Italy, France and learned to be careful about pick-pockets, scam artists, etc. in certain areas and situations.

We are now going for the first time to Denmark and Sweden (Copenhagen and Stockholm, mainly). I am getting the impression that crime is much less of a problem there than in, say, Barcelona or Rome or Paris. Is this an illusion? Are there any areas, practices we should be careful about?

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:16 PM
mpprh

Hi

I lived in Scandinavia on and off for 5 years.

There is less crime but drug crazed things happen everywhere, especially in big cities.

Take normal precautions - nothing visible in parked cars, bum (fanny) bag, no displays of large wads of cash, etc

have a great time

peter

Apr 16th, 2002, 01:33 PM
curious

What are "drug crazed things"?

Apr 16th, 2002, 02:01 PM
mpprh

hi

When someone needs money for drugs, they will try and get it anyway they can ............. mugging, car theft etc

The social system in Scandinavia protects the poor, so this is the highest risk ?

Peter

Mar 20th, 2004, 03:57 AM
adoptionisfab

Sorry for topping but just curious about this one. I would think this still holds true.

Mar 20th, 2004, 04:28 AM

Yes I would also agree that this is true. Especially the issue of pickpocketing is a smaller problem in Norway than it is in the tourist places in Italy and France f. inst. But as mpprh said normal caution is always a good idea, especially since in every country theives will always target tourists for many reasons. And after my experience with getting my camera stolen in Indianapolis last visit I KNOW how hard just getting a simple police report can be...
Though especially when it comes to Norway your biggest problem will be the state sponsored pickpockets, i.e. the high price level You'll be sure someone has taken some of your money when you return and check what you got left

Cobos
Mar 20th, 2004, 04:38 AM
adoptionisfab

Great anser Cobos! I needed a laugh this mornig!

Mar 20th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Pickpockets used to be virtually unknown in Finland, it is still more likely that if you drop your walled you will get it back untouched. But, but. Nowadays what we don't have we import. So last three summers there has been pickpocket-gangs arrested. Mostly from Romania, some also from Slovakia. They "worked" in trams and big department stores, and targeted mostly Japanese tourists. Which was very embarrasing to Finns, because Finland is advertized in Japan as a safe country.
Mar 20th, 2004, 08:51 AM

wallet = wallet

Search this Thread