Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scandanavian Restaurants (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scandanavian-restaurants-15989/)

Tom Mariam Jul 29th, 1997 10:21 AM

Scandanavian Restaurants

I am looking for good, interesting restaurants in all price categories in the following Scandanavian cities: Copenhagen, Helsinki, Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen and Lillehammer. I am particularly interested in restaurants which have a distinct Scandanavian flavor, either in cuisine or atmosphere.

Milton Jul 29th, 1997 12:59 PM

Copenhagen: Flysketfisk or something like that - it's Thai, but fabulous, and a neat local atmosphere and location; Oslo -- Lofoten fish (in Aker Brygge) - delicious seafood. Also Holenkollen restaurant near the ski jump was equally tremendous, especially the reindeer and arctic trout.

B.Irving Aug 1st, 1997 07:44 AM

We were in Oslo, Stockholm, & Copenhagen 2 years ago, & as on most of our European trips, we just wander the area & go to local restaurants that seem interesting & local. I don't remember any of the names but here are some possibles. In Oslo, at Frogner Park (Edvard Munch sculptures) there is a cafe which served local beer & excellent Norwegian food, & all the people there were especially friendly including the workers. In Stolckholm, we somewhat relied on Rick Steves recommendations -- get his Scandinavia through the back door book. We stayed at the Queen's hotel that he recommended
& we ate at a Restaurant in the Gamla(SP?) Stan area that he recommends -- again I don't remember the name, but it is in his book. I had Moose stew there, it was really good, they also had reindeer steak & a number of Scandinavian dishes. In Copenhagen, one of the best palces we ate at for Scandinavian dinner was in Tivoli Gardens, again I don't remeber the name, but it was along the lake in Tivoli & had seating areas around back by the Lake. (The Italian restaurant was good there also.) Also had some really good Scandinavian hereing(SP) at the cafe's along the Canal. While in Copenhagen,
if you are just thirsty & not hungry, I would highly suggest a tour of the brewery there. It was very interesting & the tasting after the tour is very good. In Copenhagen they still deliver beer by horse(Clydesdales) & wagon to the cafes along the Canal. We saw them do it. Hope this helps.

B.Irving Aug 1st, 1997 07:44 AM

We were in Oslo, Stockholm, & Copenhagen 2 years ago, & as on most of our European trips, we just wander the area & go to local restaurants that seem interesting & local. I don't remember any of the names but here are some possibles. In Oslo, at Frogner Park (Edvard Munch sculptures) there is a cafe which served local beer & excellent Norwegian food, & all the people there were especially friendly including the workers. In Stolckholm, we somewhat relied on Rick Steves recommendations -- get his Scandinavia through the back door book. We stayed at the Queen's hotel that he recommended
& we ate at a Restaurant in the Gamla(SP?) Stan area that he recommends -- again I don't remember the name, but it is in his book. I had Moose stew there, it was really good, they also had reindeer steak & a number of Scandinavian dishes. In Copenhagen, one of the best palces we ate at for Scandinavian dinner was in Tivoli Gardens, again I don't remeber the name, but it was along the lake in Tivoli & had seating areas around back by the Lake. (The Italian restaurant was good there also.) Also had some really good Scandinavian hereing(SP) at the cafe's along the Canal. While in Copenhagen,
if you are just thirsty & not hungry, I would highly suggest a tour of the brewery there. It was very interesting & the tasting after the tour is very good. In Copenhagen they still deliver beer by horse(Clydesdales) & wagon to the cafes along the Canal. We saw them do it. Hope this helps.

FAMOUSUNCLEART Feb 23rd, 2003 03:31 PM

Any updates or suggestions?

Bluejay Feb 24th, 2003 05:08 AM

I was confused by the dates on these posts, but I guess it really is a five-year-old thread. Here's my 2003 addition:<BR><BR>Stockholm:<BR>Highly recommend the Bakficken (sp?). It means &quot;back pocket&quot; and it's the bistro/bar at the Opera House, right downtown at Kungstadgarden. There's a formal restaurant at the Opera House that's quite well-known, but look for the Bakficken in the same building. It's a terrific dinner spot full of local colour. Good food and excellent atmosphere.<BR><BR>Also consider going to Waxholm (sp?) which is a harbour at the north end of Stockholm, not right in the city. It has some very nice shopping streets and the Waxholm hotel is a great dinner spot overlooking the harbour.<BR><BR>Oslo:<BR>There's a good strip of restaurants along the very modern Aker Brygge. Can't recommend one in particular, but that part of the harbourfront is worth visiting for dinner.<BR><BR>Copenhagen:<BR>Again I can't recommend a specific place, but consider eating along the Nyhavn (new harbour). Very picturesque right in Copenhagen, easily walkable from any central location. As you eat on one side of the walk, watch as local residents start to gather on the other side and sit drinking Carlsberg along the water.<BR><BR>

Snoopy Feb 25th, 2003 10:29 AM

Skt Gertrued's Kloster . . . a high-dollar restaurant with loads of atmosphere and good food, some French cuisine and high end Scandinavian fare.<BR><BR>Krog's, a seafood restaurant primarily with Scandinavian fare.<BR><BR>In Lillehammer, just drink the beer and everything will taste Scandinavian.

Grandma Feb 25th, 2003 02:52 PM

When you're in Copenhagen don't fail to sample open face sandwiches. Probably someone at your hotel will be able to steer you to an authentic place. Along with the sandwiches one always has beer with a shot of aquavit. (And this is LUNCH time!!)

GreenDragon Feb 25th, 2003 03:18 PM

I would also be interested in scandinavian restaurants in London :D<BR><BR>Heck, why not... ANY recommendations for good, authentic ethnic restaurants of any type in London! Our next trip will be a culinary round-the-world trip (all in London), trying a different nationality of cuisine every night, need some recommendations!

FAMOUSUNCLEART Mar 2nd, 2003 07:02 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. One more question what is NETTO?

Snoopy Mar 3rd, 2003 12:11 PM

Netto is a grocery store . . . some of them are larger and have a mix of stuff.

Lorene Mar 3rd, 2003 01:05 PM

Whenever we travel to Finland (usually every couple of years) we never miss a dinner or two at the &quot;Lapland Restaurant&quot; in Helsinki. Authentic recipes from Lapland including numerous fish dishes and reindeer. EXCELLENT!! Do not miss it if you can help it. <BR><BR>Lorene