Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Scam alert (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/scam-alert-487468/)

letour Nov 23rd, 2004 10:23 AM

Scam alert

I am writing to alert people to a scam which involved a company charging my credit card for a service which I did not purchase. I tracked down the company, which billed me for the fraudulent service, and learned that they are are being sought in a class-action suit for similar fraudulent billing.

I learned through communicating with the law firm that is handling the class action suit that credit card purchasing can result in the distribution of your card number and name to fraudulent organizations which can make false charges against your account.

I do not know for a fact, but I was lead to believe that it may be that one of the discount travel agencies may be linked to the distribution of credit card information. I will not be using any discount travel agencies for purchasing tickets going forward.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Infotrack Nov 23rd, 2004 10:32 AM

Do make sure you contact your credit card company, to have the charge removed.

--Marv

WillTravel Nov 23rd, 2004 10:35 AM

I'm sure some discounters are more reputable than others, but I doubt agencies like Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, and Orbitz are likely to be selling your CC number to fraudsters. There are some companies that do not look that "solid" but it's hard to judge over the 'net.

letour Nov 23rd, 2004 10:36 AM

Thanks, Infotrack. I did cancel the card and the card company is disputing the charge and will in fact not issue payment to the fraudulent company.

WillTravel Nov 23rd, 2004 10:46 AM

Letour, what company do you suspect?

FainaAgain Nov 23rd, 2004 11:32 AM

When I saw unfamiliar charges on my credit card statement I called the fraud department, and their first question was: did you buy anything on the internet?

Yes, every time you give your credit card number to anybody - sales person, travel agent - there is a possibility that the number will be misused.

The same with bank account numbers.

I had cell phone charges on my credit card, and I didn't even have a cell phone. The fraud department took care of this, I don't even know how.

elaine Nov 23rd, 2004 11:41 AM

I have to say that I don't think that internet purchases over secure websites seem more risky to me than the old-fashioned kind of transactions.

Twice, each time about 10-15 years ago before I'd ever made an internet purchase, someone tried to use two different credit card numbers of mine to make purchases, once on a shopping network (that I'd never used) and once via toll-free number to a store with a catalog. Somewhere along the line an unscrupulous person, probably an employee in a store or restaurant where I HAD used my cards, copied down my account numbers and either tried to use them or passed them on to someone else.
There are many ways for people to be dishonest, the internet isn't any scarier to me than anywhere else when it comes to purchases.

michelleNYC Nov 23rd, 2004 12:49 PM

I had a very unfortunate circumstance about 3 years ago. I always used to use my AMEX card at the dry cleaner down the block from my apartment. This was, in my opinion, a very reputable dry cleaner in Manhattan with many locations. Well, I received a call from an investigator with Amex advising me that my card had been duplicated and had been used to buy tires and rims up in the South Bronx (I didn't even own a car at that time)totaling over $3000. I eventually found out that the young lady behind the counter at the dry cleaner was taking people's card and feeding them into some sort of duplicating machine under the counter. Fortunately, I've never had this experience again and I purchase tons of stuff online. Goes to show...