Scaffolding Tours at Santa Croce Basilica

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a few months Santa Croce in Florence is offering tours up the scaffolding in the church to get as close to the artwork as possible. I had some issues calling the phone number, but successfully booked a tour for Sunday Oct 16 by emailing [email protected] and got a response almost immediately confirming my tour. Cheers!

http://cenblog.org/artful-science/20...ute-to-heaven/
Old Oct 5th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for your post! We'll be in Florence a week later than you and would love to have this tour. I'll try the email first. Thanks again!
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 10:43 AM

I'm in! (A very rapid and efficient reply... for Italy!)
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi jean,

while you are over in the Santa Croce area, don't miss the market a few streets to the north. it's great fun, and the market cafe is terrific with many typically tuscan dishes that you may not find elsewhere. [eg tripe salad!].
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 01:29 PM

Thanks, Ann. I've been to the market near Santa Croce, and I've eaten the tripe salad! Other than at Christmas Eve dinner at a Mexican-American friend's house, Tuscany is the only place I eat trippa.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great suggestion! I wish I had known this. We went to Santa Croce last week. Santa Croce was amazing, even with the scaffolding. But, I was sad when I saw the church's photo of what we couldn't see behind the scaffolding.
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 02:23 PM

oh well, Jean, lucky you!

and sorry for trying to teach my granny to suck eggs!

have a great time.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM

We had our tour today. It was not exactly what I expected but excellent nevertheless. The restoration of the Gaddi fresco cycle has been completed, so there was no observing of the process itself, just the results. Our guide is a restorer in the Opifico delle Pietre Dure. His English pronunciation was a little shaky at times, and I felt a little sorry for the German couple in the tour with us as they tried to keep up.

The tour was just four of us with the restorer, and we climbed to the very top of the cathedral, essentially ten levels up from the floor. On six levels,, the restorer/guide described the frescoes on the three sides, the 'stories' in each scene, the politics behind the financing of the frescoes and the messages that both the church and those paying the bills wanted to say, and the restoration.

This tour was an incredible bargain at only 13 euros per person for nearly two hours
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 09:33 AM

I hit submit too soon.... i wanted to add that the scaffolding will be up until June 2012, so no views of the Gaddi cycle until then unless you take this tour.

Bring binoculars. We were kept about 5-6 feet from the fresco surface and stained glass windows, and there is an amazing amount of detail that the artist put into his work even though it would not be visible to people below.
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM

thanks, Jean.

sounds like a very interesting experience.

how is the rest of your trip going?
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 08:18 AM

Sadly, today is our last day of two weeks of wandering from Rome, revisiting a few favorites, discovering some new ones and happening upon some under-mentioned treasures. Today was Palazzo Davanzati in Florence which was fabulous in itself (book the tour to the upper floors), but neither guide nor guidebook mentioned the absolutely astounding lace collection in one corner room accessible on the general entry ticket. I don't do trip reports, but I'll start a thread to attract attention of lace and embroidery fans.
Old Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:30 PM

looks interesting, Jean.

Shame I missed it!