Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Say "Hello" to College Students Studying "Traveler's English" in Taipei (Taiwan)

Search

Say "Hello" to College Students Studying "Traveler's English" in Taipei (Taiwan)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all,

I'm currently teaching a course called "Traveler's English" at Chang Gung University in Taiwan. Since I'd very much like to help my students leran to make the bset use of online resources to plan their trips, I'm posting this meesage here to invite you to send our class some encouragig words. Please feel free to talk about anything related to either travel or English learning. I'm sure my students will be thrilled to have the opporutnity of making friends with fellow travel lovers online.

Thanks a lot for your kind attention and look forward to hearing from you!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:30 AM

Hello Tatsu, my wife is originally from Taiwan and I am from the UK, so we are quite familiar with the culture there. There are a lot of resources online to plan the trip depends on where in Europe you are planning to go to. Some countries are easier than the others. We can give recommendations to a lot of destinations since we travel to Europe at least 5 times a year for work and pleasure, so please feel free to contact me and I can give some good pointers. There are also good travel guides the students can buy in Taiwan, in Chinese of course, which gives you good hotel and traveling recommendations.
Good luck!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:40 AM

Presumably if you want to hear Englsih spoken as it should be you'll be looking to come to England.

They speak a sort of debased version elsewhere, but nothing like the real thing.

Good luck with your studies and travels.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM

Tatsu, have you considered having your students sign up for a free Paltalk account? (www.paltalk.com)

Once they signup, have them go to the EDUCATION area, DIFFERENT LANGUAGES rooms. You will find several conversational English practice rooms. These are all free and have people joining from all over the world.

dave
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:54 AM

Oh and to Audere...as you can see by my name, I teach ESL/EFL. While the Queens English is the most proper form, you might be amazed to learn that the majority of foreign students prefer from either a native U.S. or Canadian teacher. They prefer the accents and pronunciation.

dave
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM

I suppose if you were going to learn a version of English you'd probably be better off with the yank version.

Mind you they're mutually understandable most of the time.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM

Hi, Tatsu. I'm from Scotland. We speak a form of debased English too

Let us know how we can help.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 04:00 PM

Hi to Tatsu's students! I tried to learn Italian and failed miserably.I guess the secret is to practice, practice, and then practice some more. Or come here for a visit and stay awhile!

Good luck with English.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 05:55 PM

Hi Tatsu,

My family is from Taiwan, and I leave Sunday to visit Taipei for the 10/10 celebrations!

This website is a great forum to research trip ideas, and to learn from each other. Besides, we're a relatively friendly bunch, so go ahead and ask away.

Enjoy your travels!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM

When learning a foreign language, it is best to practice a lot. Don't be afraid to try. It can be scary. You may feel like you are making many mistakes. But, that is the way you learn.

I am from the US and last summer, I went to Spanish school in Salamanca, Spain, for 2 weeks. It was a wonderful experience, but I felt as if I was 5 years old again. It was good to hear native Spanish speakers and to talk with them.

Good luck!
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM

Hello students! I live in Texas in the USA. I'm sure you've heard of this State, and maybe even the Dallas Cowboys!

Once you've mastered English, you will have to learn "Texan"! There are so many regional accents in America, because we are such a big country!

I sincerely hope you can ALL come visit us some day! We'd love to show you around our beautiful country!

Good luck!
Paula
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors!

I am writing from California. I live in the northern part of the state. You may know about San Francisco. That beautiful city is about 90 miles from my home.

Good luck with your studies.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM
ira

Hi T,

If any of your students get to England, perhaps they will be able to see a dough-faced ploughman walking through the fields coughing and hiccoughing.