Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SAXONY SWITZERLAND - (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/saxony-switzerland-346751/)

tgnych Aug 11th, 2003 06:03 AM

SAXONY SWITZERLAND -

Can anyone advise a nice and scenic road itinerary when driving back from Slovakia to Dresden, Germany through the area called 'Saxony Switzerland'?
Any sightseeing recommendations? I am interested in scenery, culture & historical places (recent & older)

Ingo Aug 11th, 2003 11:07 AM

I live in Dresden and know Saxon Switzerland very well. I would be glad to be of some help. But could you give a little more information, please?

When will you travel, winter, summer? Is it just to drive through from Slovakia to Dresden, which would leave you very little time? Or would you consider to stay overnight? What about a day trip from Dresden, since it is only 20 km away?

Ingo

tgnych Aug 12th, 2003 10:30 AM

Halo Ingo and tks for your answer -
It will be towards end Aug when returning from visiting my father in Poland.
From other postings and a few websites I get the feeling that I should reach it as soon as possible, coasting it in Decin (CZ) and following the Elb river till Dresden where I willbe overnighting. Looks like a stop at the N'al Park is attractive (how long does it take to see the rocky patches?).
Any other suggestion for the itinerary while following the river?
I realise it is worth a longer stay but this is all I can afford this time as business is calling me back hastily!
I am quite keen and curious.

Ingo Aug 12th, 2003 12:25 PM

Seems you only "rush through", right?

The most famous viewing point is called "Bastei", a sandstone cliff approx. 200 m above the Elbe river valley. You can drive there easily if you take the road from Bad Schandau via Waltersdorf to Rathewalde. A few km after passing Rathewalde turn left and drive another couple of km. After parking your car (fee) you have to walk five minutes or so. Great views, but sometimes crowded. Continue walking the path down toward Rathen to the Bastei bridge (ten minutes only) - and you're in the middle of the rocky patches.

Later drive via Lohmen and Pirna to Dresden.

Another option is to follow the B172 road through the Elbe valley. AFter passing Königstein a visit of the Fortress is a "must". It is located on top of a flat-top sandstone mountain, providing gorgeous views and a fascinating history.

To get deeper into the National Park you need to park your car and hike. Two or three hours at least. Save it for later ...

tgnych Aug 12th, 2003 12:43 PM

it is unfortunately a rush-through trip, indeed. But I am now certain it will motivate me to come back... thks to your so useful advice.
Thks a lot.
It was exactly the sort of hints I was after.

tgnych Aug 26th, 2003 03:20 AM

General feedback (and thks to Ingo for the advisory and clear driving instructions) -
I went to Bastei and it is... gorgeous, although we saw it under heavily cloudy condiitons. The photos are still impressive.
I would just add that everyone visiting it should plan at least 2-3 hours for there is so much to watch and walk.
It is also likely that the end of the afternoon-sunset time is likely to be the most dramatic from a scenery prospective.
The drive into Dresden via Pirna was a bit lengthier than expected (about 45') but gave a glimpse of lovely surroundings w/ these 3 castles overlooking the river.
Dresden itself is very nice and night lightings perfect for digital pictures.

Ingo Aug 26th, 2003 11:31 AM

I am glad you enjoyed your side trip! Yes, I agree that late afternoon is best for taking photos.

You had very bad luck with weather, since we only had a couple of cloudy days over the last two months. I apologise :-)

Ingo