Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Savvy Travellers help with clothing advice - May in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 06:54 AM
tina

Help from all savvy travellers!<BR><BR>This is our first trip to Europe. (MAy 4-31)<BR>Paris-southern Germany-Salzburg-Vienna-Italy-Riveria<BR>What are the average weather conditions for these places at this time of year? <BR><BR>I am definitely bringing a light black raincoat and black and white sweater. <BR>Should I bring open or closed shoes for Paris-Germany-Austria (beginning May)? black boots?<BR><BR>Summer pants - Capri's? <BR>Mostly short sleeves tops or long?<BR>Jeans?<BR>short linen black skirt?<BR>Do we need socks? nylons?<BR>Mini-iron?<BR>electrical adaptors?<BR>Travelers cheques, cash, credit cards or Just rely on atm's? <BR>Am I dressing to light for the time of year?<BR><BR>Also, my husband is going to wear a "man " purse aroung his shoulders instead of a waist pouch. This took alot of convincing. I'm tired of always carrying the maps, water etc... Is this a good idea?<BR><BR><BR>If these questions seem silly, oh well we do not want to over pack. I want to be comfortable but look great especially when I meet my husbands family in Italy for the first time. <BR>P.s We are traveling by car.<BR><BR>Thank you !

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 07:08 AM
xxx

Black boots? yes. with open toes? yes. with Capris? yes. <BR><BR>Be sure to get us a picture of you in this.<BR><BR>Short linen black skirt? yes.<BR><BR>Wear electrical adapters? no.<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;Am I dressing to light for the time of year?&gt;&gt; I don't understand. Dressing to light what?<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 11:55 AM
xxx

topping...what a jerk

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 01:30 PM
zzz

I understand why the first response was anonymous. Why did the second one not give a name? Was it posted by the same person as the first reply, simply to top the thread back into everyone's face?<BR>

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 01:59 PM
Fashionista

Tina,<BR><BR>I'm sorry someone was rude to you. We are not all like that.<BR><BR>I have limited advice to give you as I have not been in your destination region at the time of year you are travelling. It might not matter if I had, though, as weather can be so variable. I will give you some general suggestions and we'll see who agrees or disagrees. Almost everything I'm about to say is based on one principle: VERSATILITY.<BR><BR>* I would not bother with open-toed shoes. They are only practical if it is very warm and there is NO chance of rain all day. I hate that slimy feeling when the inside of sandals or slip-ons gets wet. Yecch. It's easier to wear closed-toe when it's warm, than open-toe if it's cold (versatility!), so stick to a lightweight but closed-toe shoe or boot, in my opinion. <BR><BR>* Same deal with capris: you're better off with long pants when it's warm, than short pants when it's cold. If you bring capris, I would say stick to one pair only. You might not want to bring any, as there are a limited number of closed-toe shoe styles that look good with capris.<BR><BR>* Solve the long-sleeve/short-sleeve dilemma by bringing twinsets. You can take the cardigan off and keep it in your bag if you are too warm. As well as real, matching twinsets, bring at least one versatile, neutral-colored cardigan that will go with lots of different short-sleeved tops.<BR><BR>* This is not about versatility, but yes, bring socks! Your feet will stay healthier over a long trip, which will almost unavoidably include lots of walking, if you are usually wearing socks to cushion your feet and wick away any perspiration. Nylons are not so beneficial in this regard. Try to wear them only when your outfit requires (a dress-up dinner) and not for daytime walking around.<BR><BR>* Try to avoid the mini-iron if you think you can live without it. They add more weight than you realize to your suitcase.<BR><BR>* People have strong opinions on this one, but I leave the blue jeans at home. They are usually thick and heavy, and they don't have enough go-anywhere potential for me. A pair of lightweight, almost-dressy, stretch black jeans can be good though.<BR><BR>* Your instincts are right-on about the short linen black skirt. You will probably wear it often, as it's very (yes, I'm going to say it again) VERSATILE.<BR><BR>I will let someone else speak to your non-fashion concerns - adaptors etc.<BR><BR>I hope this helps. Do not hate us please! Most of us do try to help! From The Fashionista.

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 03:00 PM
Diane

If you plan on buying new clothes to take, be sure to launder them well in advance. That way you can tell if they are as "easy care" as you hope they are. (Just this AM I identified two shirts we're going to leave home when I did the first wash/dry/iron on them!)

Old Apr 8th, 2001, 04:02 PM
Charles

Remember that mid-Europe and Maine are about the same latitude, and the continent doesn't get any benefit from the Gulf Stream, like Ireland does. Expect it to be cool. I have had ice on the windshield on a May morning near Munich.