Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"Saving" for a CDG taxi - how do you "save" 5 euro a day?

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another poster is quite concerned about "wasting" money on a taxi from CDG. It seems the "savings" equals about 5 euros per person. That is a neglible amount for me considering total trip costs, but it started me wondering... how would I "save" 5 euros a day?

One easy way - (as said poster pointed out) - give up a Coca-Cola a day. I wouldn't do it. If I'm thirsty and want a Coke instead of a glass of wine or a 1664, then I'm going to have it - in Paris or at home.

How would you "save" 5 euros in Paris and/or do you NEED to worry about that 5 euros a day?
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Hi starrsville,

An easy way is to shop at grocery stores and have a picnic for dinner instead of eating in a restaurant -- save lots more than 5 E!!

s
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 05:53 AM

I agree. If an 30 euro taxi is going to break the bank then maybe a trip to Paris is not the best thing for you. I suppose taking a shuttle would be cheaper but I prefer a taxi.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:09 AM

I am certainly NOT against saving money although I have been accused by some here of "not being like the rest of us" but anyway..
"Time is {also} money" IMO.

You could save a LOT of money by not buying any more of those B. Spears CDs, too, but it's all a matter of priorities I guess.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Note that, for some, it isn't a trade-off on how to spread the money - it is essential to cut spending on all fronts in order to be able to take such a trip. Little luxuries make a trip nicer, but one shouldn't stay home just because one can't afford those little luxuries.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Some people have a lifelong, ingrained habit of never spending more for anything than absolutely necessary. The long-term consequence of this habit is that they tend to live in bigger houses and have nicer things than people who spend money as if there's no tomorrow. I'm not saying that one or the other is correct; the bottom line is that what something is "worth" is a matter of personal choice which cannot be argued.

As an aside: the cheapest way to get from CDG to Paris (not counting the city bus) is also the fastest. So the "time is money" argument doesn't hold in this particular case.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't consider a taxi a "little luxury". Right from the start of planning... a taxi to the airport, my plane ticket, and taxis at my destination(s) are figured as part of the cost of the trip.

I don't really look at it this way, but could easily not spend 5 euro a day by not going to museums -lol.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:44 AM

I'm not sure where the savings of 5e per person for a taxi comes into play. I was convinced to take shuttle after seeing various posts stating a taxi would cost anywhere from 50e to 75e EACH WAY (from CDG).

Maybe this expense wouldn't 'break the bank' but it definitely cuts into your spending money.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

R, my personal experience is that we reached our hotel well before either a) the mother-daughter team who took the RER and b) the married couple who took "the scenic route" of many other hotels via the shuttle route. Same hotel. Same flight. WELL before they reached the hotel.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

lucygirl, using the 40-50 euro estimate and the fact that 3 persons are already going to be paying 8 - 9 euros to take the RER ((I've seen both quoted here). The difference per person (for a taxi of 3) would be in the 5 - 8 euro per person range. Obviously less if there are 4 in the taxi, therefore 5 euros used as a "ballpark" figure.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Show me ALL of the transit times for ALL transfers from CDG to Paris hotels, and I'll be able to determine whether your anecdotal experience is typical. As things stand, my personal knowledge of taxi and train speeds suggest to me that it is not.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:29 AM

I shop like the dickens for air fare far in advance. I'm usually able to "save" $50-200. So, that more than covers the taxi fare.

Once in Paris, there are plenty of ways to save plenty. Evian, Badoit, Coca Cola, etc., cost €1-2 in a convenience store, at a crepe stand, in a boulangerie or patisserie, €4-5 at a cafe.

"Leeds Insider Guide" to Paris restaurants is well worth the price of the download. Includes restaurants all over Paris with very good food at very low prices.

All in all, though, it is positiviely amazing how refreshing a €5 Coca Cola is in a cafe chair after hours and hours of walking.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:32 AM

starrs,

Thanks, I see. I guess I was just thinking of my situation. There were only 2 of us and 40-50 is only an estimate. So the savings to us seemed more substantial, especially if the taxi went over the 50euros.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

lucy, I gladly paid for the taxi for 2 - but that is my choice of course. But, as much as this topic pops up on this board (and it DOES pop up often) I've not read any first hand account of an outrageous taxi fare from CDG. Yes, of course, there CAN be a horrible traffic condition that CAN cause a huge taxi fare. Once again, I can't remember anyone on this website sharing such an experience.

For those who prefer RER, go for it.
For those who prefer a taxi, go for it.

I thought it would be interesting to see how those who think taxi fares are wasteful choose to count their euros elsewhere on their vacation.

And, I totally agree with djkbooks. The price of a Coke is well worth it when one is hot and thirsty and one wants to take "the pause that refreshes" in a cafe chair.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Sitting on a park bench with a 1,25€ liter from Monoprix works, too.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM

Convenience and comfort have their worth too - for me a taxi is the way to go.

There are lots of ways to save money once in Paris, but truly if the price of the taxi to/from the airport is going to make or break the trip then I would probably choose to vacation closer to home.

Ways to save include picking a less expensive hotel - and yes, you can do that quite easily and they are not all out in the boonies in Paris either. A 3* will do just fine (or even some 2*'s) if money is a concern. Skip the wine and Cokes completely. Skip "brand name" water. You can always ask for tap water, no one will look down on you. You can also hang on to one of your water bottles and fill it up at a drinking fountain in the park or out of the tap at your hotel. It's all the same drinking water. You can walk alot instead of taking the tube/bus. Walking is good for your health and even better you see much much more. Skip the 50 Euro apiece dinners and eat where the locals do (go down some side streets and look for the bistros/cafes out of the main tourist streets). Have a picnic in the park instead of an expensive lunch out.

I am not saying it is necessary to do all these things to save a few Euros, but you can do them if you want to. Personally, I like to combine some economical days with "more frills" days, but being economical will allow you to do the extras should you desire.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Oh, Lord, Roby. You don't even "splurge" for a soda at a cafe?

It's official. We ARE completely different types of travelers. I absolutely could NOT travel with someone who counts their pennies as tightly as you.

Enjoy the RER. Enjoy the park bench. Enjoy your type of vacations. Once again, different strokes for different folks.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

I'm with you Lori. Most nights we were so busy walking and enjoying Paris we didn't remember to stop and eat a big meal. But, we didn't begrudge a single cent spent on lunch at Jules Verne in the Eiffel Tower. We enjoyed staying at a 2 star in the Latin Quarter. I know for a fact I enjoyed my trip to Paris more than a family member who spent the week in a suite at George V.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM
ira

Fly cheap
Sleep cheap
Eat well

If you decrease your hotel cost by 50E/day, you can spend a lot on cokes, cabs, etc.....

Old Jun 14th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Like most things here, it's all a matter of personal preference.

I travel light, so I'm in the camp that takes the RER (or public transportation where ever possible). The savings over the taxi is enough for me to spend the money somewhere else; a nicer meal or a coffee at that over-priced cafe looking up at Montmartre.

That 5 euros a day (per person times two) equals almost $100 for a week, so yes, I try to do little things to save 5 euro so that I can allocate the money for other things I think are important, like good meals. For others, the taxi might be more important than dining well; it's all a matter of choice.
To save money, I take public transortation, I do a TON of research and try to find acomodations that are a good value and nice (for me), and do things like visiting museums on free days if possible. That way I can splurge on other things like a better flight or fancy meal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -