Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   SAS flights via Copenhagen from U.S. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/sas-flights-via-copenhagen-from-u-s-162787/)

polyester Jan 12th, 2003 09:20 PM

SAS flights via Copenhagen from U.S.

Has anyone traveled through the Copenhagen airport from the U.S. and caught a connecting flight? I've only flown directly to my destination in the past, so I'm not sure what to expect. <BR><BR>Will we have to go through Danish customs? About how long does it usually take to get through and back to the gate for the next flight? <BR><BR>Thanks in advance!

Sjoerd Jan 12th, 2003 09:23 PM

Copenhagen airport is nice and easy to use. You don't need to go through customs in Copenhagen; whether or not you need to go through immigration depends on your final destination: if your final destination is in a Schengen country, you will go through immigration (passport control) in Copenhagen.

mpprh Jan 12th, 2003 11:14 PM

Hi<BR><BR>Copenhagen is a nice, smallish airport.<BR><BR>Depending on flight times it can be a long walk from one extreme gate to another.<BR><BR>I once only just made it (ok, just a little shopping en route !), and discovered the same crew on the connecting flight !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Linda Jan 12th, 2003 11:57 PM

My parents and sisters have both made the trip from Seattle to Frankfurt with connections in Copenhagen. They had about an hour between flights and barely made it both times. In fact, they held the plane a few minutes when my sisters came in, and my parents luggage didn't make it when they went through. That being said though, my parents luggage was delivered to our door 18 hours later, they all loved SAS, and all agreed they would seek them out for future trips.

greg Jan 13th, 2003 12:36 AM

If you had to struggle changing flights at Heathrow or CDG, Kastrup airport looks like an oasis.

polyester Jan 14th, 2003 10:09 AM

Thanks so much! Sounds like we've got plenty of time to connect, even going through immigration (duh -- I meant that instead of customs anyway). Does this mean that since we're traveling through Denmark to another Schengen country that we'll only go through immigration in Copenhagen and not on arrival in Brussels, or do we go through twice. All your help is much appreciated!

mpprh Jan 14th, 2003 10:53 AM

Hi<BR><BR>Immigration seems to change by airport.<BR><BR>I'd work on the basis in Copenhagen, that a US flight will require immigration clearance, but not in the next EU location.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR>

Snoopy Jan 14th, 2003 12:10 PM

I am pretty sure that you will not go through immigrations in Copenhagen. At Kastrup airport, Immigrations dumps you into baggage claim, and baggage claim dumps you into customs which dumps you into the international arrivals section of the airport . . . and I am fairly certain that you will not be forced to go through customs and recheck your luggage.<BR><BR>Just an opinion . . .

Ira Jan 14th, 2003 01:13 PM

Hi<BR> If you will be stopping in Copenhagen, I suggest you ask the airline if you can stay over for a few days. Copenhagen is a wonderful town.

polyester Jan 14th, 2003 04:59 PM

Thanks for the advice, and keep it coming :)<BR><BR>And thanks for the Copenhagen plug, Ike. We got a cheap flight and will only be spending four days in Europe, but Copenhagen was an early consideration. For future reference, what kind of language barrier might there be in Copenhagen? I hesitate to assume that everyone speaks a little English, but I know Scandinavians are resourceful. (We went with Brussels because we know some French and VERY basic Dutch and had been told that with the EU headquarters it's likely that many people also speak English.)

polyester Jan 14th, 2003 05:01 PM

Oops! Make that IRA, not Ike.

tjc Jan 14th, 2003 07:47 PM

To answer your question about language, you will find that in Copenhagen (especially in the heart of the city/airport<BR>English will be spoken. A clerk/waitress may begin speaking Danish, but once you answer in English, the conversation will continue in English.

Betsy Jan 14th, 2003 08:16 PM

Because I'm in Seattle, SAS is my choice when flying to Europe. I've done it several times and will be doing it again in 4 weeks. When your final destination is another EU country you only need to worry about passport control which you can't avoid. But don't worry, its easy. No luggage carousel to worry about. When you get off there will be boards right there that will give you info about connecting flights, gate numbers etc. <BR>If its a tight connection, head right to your gate. The intra-Europe flights are on another concourse and its a bit of a walk but clearly signed. If you have time to kill there's plenty to do. Everyone speaks English. If you have a long layover there are rest cabins rented in 2 hour increments. They'll give you a wake up call. They're great! Think nice cabin on a cruise ship. You can take a shower and sleep well. Even when my connection has been less than an hour, my luggage has made it. Finally, SAS help is EVERYWHERE in that airport. Time between gates w/passport control is minimum 20 minutes, plan 30.

SAS Jan 15th, 2003 05:48 PM

TTT